Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D5100 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Night Photography

edited March 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I was trying to shoot night photography and video, but every time I do it's noisy. If anyone can suggest a tutorial that would be great. It's not the quality I was expecting compared to some of the YouTube videos I've seen. Thanks!

Comments

• What lens are you shooting with?
  • @dolphin_m70 - I agree with @Adelphos, we'll need to know a bit more about your entire setup, including the lens used, the subject you were trying to capture and the type of light you were shooting under (outdoor or indoor light).
  • edited March 2013
    Also, we'd need to know ISO and other settings. I'm not into video, but I could offer something on stills.
  • edited March 2013
    I was using the 18-55mm kit lens, indoor (not very bright, incandescent) with ISO 1600 and aperture f/3.5. Subject was a Pepsi can with blurred background. I also tried the same settings on a family photo (for video and still), just as a test run. When I try in aperture mode the picture still comes out dark. I don't know what I am doing wrong.
  • edited March 2013
    You need a greater aperture (f1.4-f/2.8) if you want performance in the dark.
  • edited March 2013
    I tried with the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 and it came out good. The problem is if I want to take the still/video from a distance, it's a bit difficult; everything appears smaller.

If a generalized settings is advised, then I can form a base. I will try to work with different options and distances. What about night photography outside or shooting buildings at night where there is very little light?
  • edited March 2013
    Are you shooting at 50mm and with a tripod?
  • edited March 2013
    Is that 50mm on the 18-55mm or another lens (the 50mm ones)? The latter I can't afford.
  • edited March 2013
    @dolphin_m70 - It sounds like you're trying to wrangle too many things at once. Low light photography is tricky. Every scenario requires a different setup.

For example, for a low light portrait hand-held, I would attach the 35mm f/1.8, enable Aperture priority, set the aperture to f/1.8 and set the ISO to Auto.

For a nighttime cityscape I would mount the D5100 to a tripod, attach the 18-55mm kit lens, enable Aperture priority, set the aperture to f/8 and set the ISO to 100.

As for video, that's got it's own completely separate settings and rules to follow. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited April 2015
    I'm new at this, but trying to shooting/video at car race tracks(mostly at night). I have the kit lenses 18-55 & 55-300. Video is a blur. I have a mono stand. What lens to use? I have read to go to manual focus, but still blurry! #rookie