Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Suggested Telephoto Zoom Lens

edited March 2013 Posted in » Nikon Lens Talk
I purchased a Nikon D5100 a few days ago. I took some photos with my 18-55mm kit lens and realized I would like a lens that can zoom into distant subjects. I'm looking at the 55-200mm or 55-300mm. Which one should I buy?

Comments

• edited February 2013
  • edited February 2013
    Which one is better for street photography?
  • @Saurav - I wouldn't say one is necessarily better than the other when it comes to street photography. The 55-300mm will give you a bit more reach, so if you're regularly shooting from a distance you'll be able to get tighter framing which will yield more details in your subject. On the other hand, the 55-200mm is smaller and lighter, which would make it easier to carry and handle. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited March 2013
    I like that my 55-200mm is smaller and lighter for when I travel. As @Moose said, it's a matter of do you want a little more reach or a little smaller lens? The quality may be soft and shaky all the way out to 300mm compared to only out to 200mm, but nothing that isn't correctable by the photographer. :)