Suggested Telephoto Zoom Lens

edited March 2013 Posted in » Nikon Lens Talk
I purchased a Nikon D5100 a few days ago. I took some photos with my 18-55mm kit lens and realized I would like a lens that can zoom into distant subjects. I'm looking at the 55-200mm or 55-300mm. Which one should I buy?

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Howdy @Saurav - Someone asked a similar question a couple days ago. See my reply.
  • edited February 2013
    Which one is better for street photography?
  • @Saurav - I wouldn't say one is necessarily better than the other when it comes to street photography. The 55-300mm will give you a bit more reach, so if you're regularly shooting from a distance you'll be able to get tighter framing which will yield more details in your subject. On the other hand, the 55-200mm is smaller and lighter, which would make it easier to carry and handle. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited March 2013
    I like that my 55-200mm is smaller and lighter for when I travel. As @Moose said, it's a matter of do you want a little more reach or a little smaller lens? The quality may be soft and shaky all the way out to 300mm compared to only out to 200mm, but nothing that isn't correctable by the photographer. :)