Best All Around Lens

edited September 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I am looking for a lens that will pretty much do most things. I hate having to keep changing lenses for different kinds of shots.

Comments

• edited September 2013
    What range do you need? Tamron 18-270mm or Nikkor 18-200mm VR get all focal lengths but are slow.

The Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 contemporary gives a nice range and can do decent work in low light. F/4 at 70mm gives nice portraits too.

The Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 price dropped dramatically lately. Superb and constant f/2.8 is great for portraits and all around work lens, but you are going to miss the range.

Try to find out what focal lengths you need the most; usually 70mm or 50mm is enough. Do you really have to zoom in for a random bird sitting on top of building (200mm focal length)? ;)
  • Hey @Arsenalguy - It really depends on the kinds of things you like to photograph and the type of light you tend to shoot under.

If you can give me a better idea as to what types of photography you're most interested in, I can point you in the right direction. All the best!

P.S. Thanks @kravattisolmu for your good suggestions!