T2i for a Wedding Shoot

edited August 2013 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I have owned my T2i for a year and have taken some senior pictures with it. However, my cousin just asked me to take her wedding pictures. Her ceremony will be outdoors and her reception will be outdoors on a July evening.

Is it possible to shoot a wedding with a T2i without having point and shoot quality photos? If so, what equipment do you suggest? If not, what camera do you suggest for a college student on a very low budget? Is there anything else an amateur should know about shooting such a monumental day?

Thanks!

Comments

• edited January 2013
    @apmccoy

The T2i is a fine camera for a wedding.

Since the ceremony is outdoors, I assume in daytime, you won't have to deal with high ISO exposures and associated noise. For the reception, you will be using a flash, so no high ISO there either.

I would suggest you rent a Canon 430 or 580 EXII flash, and a Canon EF-S 17-55 mm f/2.8 IS USM lens if you don't already have those. Renting is a lot cheaper than buying. For portraits, the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 lens will do just fine.

The 17-55mm f/2.8 lens is fast enough that you won't have to use the flash during the ceremony. It is generally considered very rude to use the flash during the ceremony. That lens is a really excellent wide to medium range zoom with image stabilization. If you need to get closer to the action, the Canon EF 70-200 mm f/2.8 L IS USM II is also a great lens.

Around here you can rent the lens for $30 per weekend, and the flash for $30 per weekend.

Also, you should carry at least one extra LP-E8 battery (fully charged), and an extra 32GB SD card. Get a tripod if you don't already have one.

Taking pictures at a wedding is a big responsibility. Your cousin relies on you to provide the memories that will last a lifetime. Maybe you should have a plan B just in case you experience equipment failure. If you can't afford a second camera body, lens and flash, you could ask someone else in the family to also take pictures, just in case.