Help with Rode Video Mic

edited August 2016 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
I just made an account because I can't find help anywhere else. I'm a complete novice when it comes to using mics. I've never had to use one before then. I just bought a rode mic, and when I plug it in, it doesn't record any sound. I don't know what I could be doing wrong. I just hear static or something of the sorts.

Comments

• An external mic should just plug in, but you must make sure the connector is correct. The connector on the camera is for a stereo microphone, and as far as I can see that's the correct one, but can't know for sure.

There is a menu setting for microphone on and off, and for auto sensitivity. Make sure that setting is correct, and try it with auto sensitivity off.

If nothing occurs, I'd suspect a bad sample, and try another microphone before going too much further.
  • edited August 2016
    I had figured it out a little while ago. It doesn't seem to really make a difference whether the mic is plugged in or not. Maybe I have the levels set wrong.
  • Go to the shooting menu, and open the entry for "movie settings" with the right arrow. In this submenu you will find a "microphone" entry, and in that submenu, entries for microphone auto level, manual level adjustment, and "microphone off." Make sure the microphone is on. There is a graphic display here, and with ambient sound, such as a radio going in the room, it should register sound with the auto setting on.
  • Hi I have a similar problem. But my micro was worked good for a some weks, but now I want to use again, and don't work with the camera.

I check the micro in my cell phone and works ok.

Some sugestion please!!
  • If it's working with one device and not another, the first guess would be that some setting has changed, perhaps by accident. Try going through the menu for settings, to see if there's anything you missed. If no luck then if possible you might try borrowing a different microphone if you can, and see if one works when the other doesn't. The jack and whatnot on the camera is pretty well protected, so it seems unlikely to be the camera itself, but of course it could be.

• Hi somebody who has problem with the external micro on your Nikon?
    I need help! My micro don't works.