Nikon Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4G?

Hello there. I'm learning so much from your website and resources. Thank you for that. I am considering buying a Nikon Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4G for my D3100, based on the recommendation of a friend. I take pictures of children and adults in classrooms, usually with florescent lighting, and various levels of natural light through windows. My director is looking for the classic "bokeh" for photos used for promotional purposes, hence the f/1.4G. I noticed your recommendation of the 50mm f/1.8G or 35mm f/1.8G. Now I'm not sure. The price points there are certainly better. What do you think?

Comments

• While you are likely to get slightly shallower depth of field from the 1.4, I don't think it will be enough better to justify the considerable added price over the 1.8. That's really only 2/3 of a stop. I suppose it depends on who is paying for it, but I'm guessing the 1.8 would work well, as well as being a great bargain by comparison. The 50 will get a little better out of focus look than the 35, and be better for portraits, but a little less versatile for normal work.

The 1.4 is a nice lens, and well made, but you could get both the 50/1.8 and the 35/1.8DX for less than a single 50/1.4 and have some money left over.

• Perfect! Thanks.