70mm - 200mm f2.8 Lens

edited September 2017 Posted in » Nikon D3300 Forum
Hi

I am going to buy a nikon 70mm - 200mm f2.8 specifically for low light (no flash because of working with animals) and sports photography but want to make sure I buy the correct one.

I currently own a D3300 and have the AF-S NIKKOR 55-200mm 1:4-5.6F which I love but I feel I have outgrown the lens and although I am a novice and it is only a hobby really, I am selling my photos and being asked to do more and more work but I don't feel the lens is up to it... especially under low light conditions, also would just like the images to be slightly "crisper"

Does anyone have a comparison table for the various models (old vs new and between the different type in the nikon 70mm - 200mm f2.8 range)

eg AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II vs a AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR vs say older models of a similar lens which might be cheaper but just as good?

My other question is would the AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR work with a D3300 body?
I want to upgrade my lens first then upgrade the body at a later stage (can't afford to do both similtaneously)
Have heard that I should get a FX (full frame) which should still work on a DX...

Thank you!
Nicole

Comments

• Nicole, I wish I had advice for you on this specific lens. There is a list of compatible lenses in the camera manual; I'd check for you but am already multitasking too many activities. Ooops.

The tip to pass along that I learned the hard way is that the number of pins on the lens MUST MATCH the number of pins on the D3300 in order to work. This may not be an issue with Nikkor lenses but certainly can be with off-brand lenses. The Tamron 200mm F2.8 macro for FX I bought had only 5 pins and I had to return it...bummer.

Before I plunk down cash again, I will ask about the number of pins...it's a quick question, easily answered, and can at least tell you a firm "no."

Good luck!
    Rose-Marie

• My apologies, that was a Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP AF/MF 1:1 Macro Lens. Sorry about the wrong focual length! It was the older rendition; evidentally the newer ones have all 8 connector pins. You just need to know that whatever lens you purchase has the 8 pins so it communicates fully with your D3300.

Rose-Marie
  • Hi Rose Marie

thank you for the advice :)
  • @NIXKON My advice would be to go with a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8. You can find them used in good condition at a substantial savings to the Nikon version. They are sharp and have good AF.

On a Nikon D3300, it's going to be hard to notice a real difference in speed, primarily because the AF system isn't as sophisticated as the D7200 or D500. For those cameras, I would consider getting the Nikon to maximize my AF speed and accuracy.

Yes, FX lenses work on DX bodies. Just make sure it has an AF motor built into the lens. For Nikon lenses, this is identified using the "AF-S" label.