NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 II DX G AF-S

Hi Folks,

I have a question about his particular lens. Will it auto focus on the Nikon D3200 camera? And what does the letter 'G' stand for in the title?

Nikon NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 II DX G AF-S VR SIC ED Lens

Thank you,

Lonnie

Comments

• Yes, an AFS lens will auto focus on the D3200. The letter "G" describes a lens with no mechanical aperture ring, standard these days on AF lenses, and entirely compatible with any AF camera since the F4.

And just in case you're wondering, the DX means it's made only for crop sensor cameras the VR means it has vibration reduction, SIC means a super integrated lens coating, and ED means it has one or more elements made of extreme dispersion glass.

In general, for AF you want AFS, or an internal motor in the lens, but some of the latest AFP lenses with stepper motors may not work correctly.
  • Thank you very much!
  • I recently came into possession of a Nikon NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 II DX G AF-S VR SIC ED Lens, I noticed in a lot of blogs that the AF for this lens can easily be broken. Seems the barrel near the sensor is susceptible to cracking, leaving the AF unreliable, while the MF will still work fine.
  • That's useful caution for anyone looking for a used lens of this sort. Not surprisingly, these relatively inexpensive lenses are not nearly as tough as those that cost more, and when Nikon cuts corners, they do so on durability and sealing and the like rather than on optics, which is rather nice of them.

I think the 55-200, in particular, has a plastic mounting flange like the 18-55, and this can be pretty easily broken, as well as the possibility that cheaper lenses will simply wear out faster. I'd still look at these seriously if one is on a budget or needs something light that is easy to travel with, as they can deliver very good results, but if buying used you should definitely make sure it's returnable after trying out, and if new it's quite possible that the long USA warranty will be worth more than you'd save on a gray market lens.