Used camera autofocus

edited December 2016 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
I just got a used D3200 for Christmas, and the lens I have for it is the AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8. I really love it, but for some reason when I go to menu, no matter what I do, the MF/AF section never let's me select it. It is always dull and I can't move the cursor over it. Does this mean that the autofocus is broken on the camera? I don't know what to do!

Comments

• edited December 2016
    No, it means, unfortunately, that you have an older style AF lens which will not auto focus with this model. The D3xxx and 5xxx family do not have internal focus motors, and thus will auto focus only with lenses that have their own motors. The AF 50mm lens is powered by a "screwdriver" AF mechanism that requires the camera to do the heavy lifting.

All Af lenses that have chips will function well with the D3200 and meter fully, but only AFS lenses will auto focus with it. If you find it possible to manually focus, you'll find that lens works nicely. If you require AF you'll have to spring for a newer lens.

Here is a picture of the older type AF lens. Note the slotted driver at about the 12 o'clock position here. That is the "screwdriver" AF linkage. AFS lenses that work fully on the D3200 will not have that.

http://thumbs4.picclick.com/d/l400/pict/112199526071_/Nikon-AF-Zoom-Nikkor-75-300mm-f-45-56-AF-Lens.jpg