Zoom Blur

edited October 2016 Posted in » Nikon D5200 Forum
I'm considering trying out the "zoom blur" effect, ie., moving the lens in or out while the shutter is open creating some interesting effects. I'm wondering if this movement could possibly damage anything? For example, lens, internals, etc., and would the fact that the shutter is open during the movement let in dust?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• It should cause no harm to the lens at all. There is at least a theoretical possibility of the zoom lens pumping dust, but in practice it's likely not to be an issue, especially if you don't do it a lot. Unless the camera and lens are full of crud it's unlikely any will be stirred up, and if you are worried about it, try moving the lens outward rather than inward, and it will pull rather than push.

I've done it a couple of times, more by accident than on purpose, and the effect can be pretty interesting. Try it with single servo AF on a single point, or with manual focus, so that the camera does not go crazy trying to keep up with movement.
  • I found a little video on the web that might be of use, though the photographer in this case goes on rather more than he needs (even more than I do).

http://www.nikon-tutorials.com/2016/02/how-to-shoot-a-zoom-blur-effect/

Not a bad site overall for some other hints, though very variable.
  • edited October 2016
    Looks like fun.