Yongnuo speedlite YN568EX

edited October 2016 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Hi,
I recently purchased this speedlite (thank you for the suggestion Moose), and have a few questions about how to use it. I have looked at the manual and tried to find a good YouTube video, but still can't figure out exactly how to use it. I used it last week to take some day time portraits as an on camera flash for fill light. I left it in TTL mode. I was unable to use a higher shutter speed than 1/200; is there a way that I could use it if wanting to go over 200? I also had to manually choose what level flash I wanted to use. Is there a way to have the camera auto select the correct flash for you, so you don't always have to manually choose what level of flash you want?
Thanks!
Jessica

Comments

• edited October 2016
    Flash sync speed X=1/200 sec, synchronizes with shutter at 1/200 sec or slower on the Nikon D3200.

Remember the flash has speeds too up to 1/4000 sec.
    Now you have to think flash speed not camera speed.
    I once took a photo of a waterfall. I wanted the water with a slow mist effect, and also wanted a fish frozen in the air. I slowed the camera speed, flash gun too, and it took me 14 hours over 2 days to get it on film, way back when black and white was popular.
    Hope this helps.
  • @haggis, that's a neat trick on film. It might be easier nowadays with slow sync and rear curtain flash, but still not so easy.

• edited October 2016
    I think an ND filter to slow the water, and flash during exposure when a fish jumps. Getting the fish to cooperate is the tricky part.
    Salmon jumping waterfalls in Scotland is fun to watch, the heart rate goes up as one jumps, remembering to press the flash test button at the same time is challenging. Hence 14 hours, over 2 days.