HairLike Intrusion

edited October 2016 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I have a Canon 60D with a 18-135mm Canon lens.

After getting a new PNY Elite Performance 64GB data card, I began getting a hairlike streak across some of my digital images. It appears somewhat at random. Also using a new Wasabi battery.

Here's a set of 3 photos taken in succession, showing it appearing slowly. Other photos before, and after may or may not have this, but it is the same shape, and located in the same place.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zl2emvg5o8r5ps6/HairLikeIntrusion.jpg?dl=0

What might be causing this? How do I go about determining a cause?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• It looks to me like exactly that - a hair, probably across the sensor, or near it. It will appear differently depending on your aperture - probably more blurred or even invisible when the aperture is wide open, and sharper when aperture is small (same case with dust on sensor).

I assume that with your camera there is, as there is in most, a setting whereby you can flip the mirror up and open the shutter for sensor cleaning. I suggest you take the lens off, and actuate this setting, and look carefully in there for a foreign object. Don't remove it with anything that can damage the sensor, but if you have an air blower you might try that.
  • edited October 2016
    Thanks, that was it. A very, very small black strand. Puffs of air finally moved it free, up and away.

I hope (it was very thin).