Compatible Memory Card

edited September 2016 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hello,
I was curious if the SanDisk Extreme PRO 32GB SDHC or 64GB SDXC Memory Cards were compatible with the Nikon D3100 and which one would be the best purchase? Any tips on the most top notch memory cards would be very much appreciated.

Much thanks!

Comments

• Here's a link that suggests either should be all right.

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16921/~/approved-memory-cards---d3100

For myself, I would hesitate to get over 32 megabytes, given that even on a D3200 that's over 1000 raw images. I'm hesitant to store that much on any one card without doing regular backups anyway. The risk of card failure, loss, corruption and so forth sees awfully high if you put too much on it at once.

I've had pretty good luck with all sorts of memory cards on the D3200, with only one, a Sandisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC, having intermittent problems that occur, for some reason, only on the camera, but not on computers. It did not lose images, but claimed intermittently not to be formatted, and required camera restarting. I retired that one, but otherwise have had good luck with Sandisk, PNY, Lexar, and a few odd brands. I'd get anything that's on sale, and test it a few times - download and reformat, etc., and if it's good it will probably stay good.
  • Thanks so much for your helpful response!