Nikon D5200, D3300, or Canon 1200D

edited September 2016 Posted in » Nikon D5200 Forum
Hi,
I am buying my first DSLR camera.

1) I am confused between Nikon D5200, D3300 and Canon 1200D. Which is the best one?

2) Canon 1200D has 18 MP, will it make a big difference?

3) Can I shoot long exposure and slow shutter with the 18-55mm lens?

4) Which filters are good - Hoya, Tiffin, Griffin, Cameron? Can you suggest other filters that are cheap?

Comments

• For most purposes megapixel count will not make a lot of difference. If you crop a lot it will. I don't know much about the Canon, but I'm sure all the cameras listed are good and will give you good results if you use them well. Many people consider the Nikon family to have better dynamic range than comparable Canons, but all of these have enough megapixels and enough dynamic range and whatever else to make very good pictures.

Each camera has its strengths, and the best solution might be to find one of those websites that allows you to compare two cameras side by side. Try googling Nikon D3300 vs D5200, etc. and see what sites come up. Some are pretty decent, and will give you the specific ways in which they differ.

The D3300 is newer than the 5200, and may have a sharper sensor. It is likely also smaller and lighter.

The D5200 has an articulated rear screen that can be very handy for video and macro work, less so for ordinary use, and some other features more advanced than the D3xxx family, and the auto focus may be better.

I don't know anything about the Canon's specifics.

You can use long exposure and slow shutter on any lens. If one of the things you wish to do is very slow exposure in daylight, using a darkening filter, the D3300 has a slight advantage over the D5200 if you buy the usual kit lens, because the newer version of the 18-55 kit lens does not rotate when it auto focuses, and that makes the used of polarizers and graduated ND filters much easier.

I don't use many filters, but Hoya is usually considered one of the better bargains. Tiffin seems to vary. The others I have not heard of. Most of the time, you will not notice a difference.