ND lens filters

edited August 2015 Posted in » Nikon D5300 Forum
Hi ,
I purchased my first UV lens filters kit for my 55-300mm lens. I have one ND 2 filter and was wanting to know what other ND rating filter I should purchase to keep in the collection?

Comments

• edited August 2015
    I would suggest something around 4, but it depends on what you find you need. The main reason for an ND filter is to allow slower shutter speeds or wider apertures when it's bright. There may be times when, even at your lowest ISO, you just can't get the combination of speed and aperture you want. If you find that you wish you could get better blur on moving water (slow shutter speed), or better bokeh in outdoor portraits (wider aperture), then a darker filter is a good thing to have.
  • edited May 2016
    Buy graduates ND filters too. You might want more control over your images; nd2, nd4 and a variable nd.
  • edited May 2016
    Note that there is a difference between "graduated" and "variable".

Variable ND can be very handy, as they allow a great deal of darkening, and this in turn allows you to blur motion even when the scene is bright, and also to open up aperture for background blur even when it would ordinarily be impossible. Be aware, however, that the 55-300mm lens has a rotating front element, and this means that a graduated filter (darker in one half than the other to allow better sunsets and the like) will be inconvenient, as it must be re-leveled every time focus changes. As with a polarizing filter, it can be used, but not conveniently unless you set it to manual focus, and best on a tripod.