Upgrading my lens

edited May 2016 Posted in » Nikon D5300 Forum
Hello, I just purchased the D7200. I use the 50mm and I love it, but I am wanting to get another lens. What would be a good choice for taking portraits? I want to be able to get more in the frame rather than having to back up 10 miles to get everyone or the whole body in the shot. Any recommendations? Also I am only looking for auto focus. I do not want to have to be in charge of the focus on my end adjusting the lens.

Comments

• edited May 2016
    If you love the 50mm, the next likely choice is probably the 35mm f/1.8 DX. Pretty much the same kind of performance in a 35mm. Unlike the 50mm it's not suitable for full frame, but for a D7200 that's no issue.

There are other, wider fast lenses, but they will be a lot more expensive, and as you decrease focal length you get greater depth of field (i.e. less out of focus blur for a given lens speed), making them less suitable for portraits.

If you have a kit zoom lens, try the 35mm length of it and see if it's suitable. It's the "normal" focal length for DX, and as such pretty versatile.
  • I didn't get the kit lens with it. Is that something I should purchase? If so which one?
  • edited May 2016
    I have heard about the 85mm too, any info on that?
  • edited May 2016
    Also, what about the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8?
  • edited May 2016
    If your problem with the 50mm is that you have to back up too far, the 85mm is going in the wrong direction. It's a grand portrait length outdoors, but you have to stand pretty far away.

A kit zoom is handy, but if you don't miss it, you may not need it. I am not familiar with the Tamron, which might well be a good lens. It's nice and fast. For the DX format, 24mm is not terribly wide, but it kind of depends on what you need.

Zooms in the normal range can vary from very cheap to very expensive, and it depends a little on what you need and what your budget is. You can get the cheaply made 18-55mm zoom in various generations (with and without vibration reduction) used for well under a hundred bucks. The 18-140mm zoom, which is often the standard kit zoom on the D7100 or 7200, is very nice, but a much better bargain bundled than it is bought separately. The 16-85mm is said to be very good, but more expensive, and the newer 16-80E, with faster apertures, is even more so. I think one could do nicely with any one of those.
  • Thank you so much for all the help!! You are the best!