Recommended photography book for beginners

edited May 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Lost as a goose is what I am. :) I just purchased the Canon 60D after being out of any kind of photography for over 25 years. My first camera was the AE-1 35mm. I need direction as far as basics for digital photography (terms, settings, etc...).

Do you recommend a book?

Comments

• edited May 2012
    I have been reading the "Canon 60D for Dummies" this past week and have found it to be very helpful. You can start right at the beginning or skip to a chapter that interests you.
  • edited May 2012
    Welcome to the club. I've given everyone here chuckles for weeks now getting used to this camera vs. the old AE-1.

I could not imagine tackling this thing if I had been away 25 years. I shot with my AE-1 until Kodak quit selling film.
  • edited May 2012
    Howdy @desertcamera - For general photography tips, I would start with the Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby (see here). Rather than reading lengthy chapters full of technical info, each page is broken down into a singular tip or technique complete with a photo example. While he doesn't focus on any camera in particular, the settings he provides can be adapted to any camera.

For learning how to use the Canon 60D, in my opinion there's no greater place than this forum and the tips geared specifically for the 60D here at Camera Tips...of course, I am a little bit biased. :)

If you're looking a resource to compliment your manual, which eplains each button and menu in more detail, take a look at the following books...

- David Busch's Canon EOS 60D Guide to Digital SLR Photography (see here)

- Canon 60D: From Snapshots to Great Shots by Nicole S. Young (see here)

As always, happy shooting! :)
  • Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is an excellent general intro to aperture, shutter speed and general exposure metering. Read this one and you will probably end up buying the whole collection (same with Scott Kelby's Digital Photography series). David Busch's Canon 60D book is the absolute Bible for general understanding and set-up of this camera.
  • Well I see that I have had a blonde moment because I just posted the same question. Thanks for the info. I still want opinions re the lens. Thanks.
  • Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson