How to open RAW files?

edited March 2012 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
Hi! I'm editing photos using Adobe Photoshop CS3 on my Macbook Pro. I cant seem to open RAW files captured with my D5100. I've updated to Adobe Camera Raw 4.6 & 6.6, however both didn't work. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• Howdy @Mdee - I believe Adobe Camera RAW in Photoshop CS3 won't be able to support NEF (RAW) files from your D5100.

Your options are to...
    1. Upgrade to Photoshop CS5 or purchase Adobe Lightroom (see here)
    2. Use the free DNG Converter from Adobe and convert your Nikon RAW files to DNG which will open in Photoshop CS3
    3. Use the supplied ViewNX 2 software to processes the NEF (RAW) files and then edit the TIFF in CS3

Hope that helps. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited March 2012
    Hi Moose - I didn't know that CS3 wont open RAW files capture by the D5100. Ill try Adobe Lightroom and the converter. Thanks!
  • paspas
    edited April 2012
    I have the same problem! I can't open NEF files in Photoshop CS4. I have already intalled Camera Raw 7, made updates but still can't open. Will converting to DNG affect the image quality? Thank you! :)
  • @pas - Yep, unfortunately you'll need CS5 if you want to process NEF RAW files with Photoshop. Converting your NEF files to DNG shouldn't affect image quality. It's basically just repackaging the image data.
  • paspas
    edited April 2012
    Hi @Moose - Thank very much for the tips! Best regards, Patricia
  • edited July 2012
    I have a Nikon D3200, Photoshop CS3, Raw converter 4.6 and open raw files with no problems.
  • edited September 2012
    Denomyt, how do you do it? I am using Photoshop CS5 and can't open my Nikon D3200's raw NEF files unless I upgrade to CS6, which I cannot afford thanks to Adobe's crazy upgrade prices.
  • This is like cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer. Just get a copy of GraphicConverter from http://www.lemkesoft.com/. GraphicConverter is the Mac application for opening practically any image format. It's also much cheaper than anything Adobe could ever come out with. And the NEF format (along with a heap of other RAW formats) is also supported.
  • edited January 2013
    I prefer RAW conversion with the Nikon ViewNX2 software (it comes with your D5100, or you can download from the web). Another way is to use the converter from Photoscape (free editing software on the internet). Photoscape is a good, free photo-editing software if you don't want to spend the money for Photoshop. Photoscape has limitations compared to Photoshop, but it is free.