Pop-up flash to start my sb-910

I wonder if it's possible to use the pop-up flash to trigger remotely my Sb-910.

Comments

• I believe you can, but since the pop up flash is still making light, you have to reckon on that. I think it's possible to get a filter to eliminate the visible light from the popup so that it uses only IR to trigger the remote, but I'm not sure how it all works.

If you have the SB 910 already, I'd just try it and see what happens. I'd suggest setting the pop up flash to manual, and start with its lowest setting, and see if that will trigger the remote.
  • edited March 2016
    I found this, but the D3100 does not have the same menu.
  • The D3100 does not have commander mode, which, as I understand it, controls the remote flash from the camera as well as triggering it. I think you can get a wireless commander as an accessory, but without that your options are limited.

I think for this camera you will have either to calculate what the two flashes will provide in the way of light, or set up the remote flash to provide the light needed, and try to set the on camera flash to trigger it optically with as little added light as possible.

I should say up front that I have not done a lot of flash work, and most of what I have done is with older flashes which use their own automatic sensors, rather than TTL flashes.

But it appears that you probably cannot use it as a remote ITTL flash without a wireless commander, since there is not commander mode available. As far as I can see, you will have to use the remote flash manually, or on auto if it has an auto setting. For TTL to work, the flash and camera must communicate both ways, which is not possible with simple optical triggering.

I think the only thing to do is try it out.