Can't delete photos

edited March 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I have had a D3100 for a year, no problems until now. I am unable to delete photos. I tried the button on the card to lock and unlock, but no luck. I just bought a new card thinking maybe the old card is corrupted, but I'm experiencing the same problem.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Do you have a small key image appearing on the screen? If so, you have locked the camera from deleting images. See page 108 of the manual...

1. Select an image. Display the image in full-frame playback or playback zoom or highlight it in the thumbnail list in thumbnail or calendar playback.

2. Press the AE-L/AE-F button. The photograph will be marked with a key icon. To remove protection from the photograph so that it can be deleted, display the photograph or highlight it in the thumbnail list and then press the AE-L/AE-F button.

To remove protection from all images in the folder or folders currently selected in the Playback folder menu, press the AE-L/AE-F and Trash icon buttons together for about two seconds during playback.
  • Howdy @l2mentzer - It sounds like @dino answered your question. I'll add that you can format your card in-camera and that will delete all images on the card (protected or not). To format your card, just access the MENU, navigate to the Setup Menu (wrench icon) and highlight Format memory card. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited March 2016
    I'm having the same problem! I am using a D5200. My photos aren't locked, but still I just can't delete one at a time during image review, but it's possible to delete if I go to Menu and delete them.
    Formatting memory card isn't working. Kind of a weird problem!
    Please help me folks! :(

Suggest any solution if possible.
    My email neal1210@live.com
  • edited March 2016
    In addition to the above, make sure that the little protection switch on the card itself has not gotten moved. It's a non-electronic interlock that the camera or card reader feels for, and if it's partially moved, you can neither delete nor format. It is also not unheard of for that little switch to become defective. Make sure you move it in the right direction. Up toward the contact end is unlocked.

It's also possible for the card itself to become defective, and one thing you should do before going too much further is to see if the camera works properly with another card. I realize in the original post this is the case, but it's something you should always check.