Lens Compatability

edited February 2016 Posted in » General Discussion
I received a T5 for Christmas (Dr. said I needed to take up a hobby), and I'm really enjoying myself.
I'm thinking of purchasing a 70D. I'm thinking my lens will be compatible from the T5, just need a little confirmation. Thanks.

Comments

• edited February 2016
    Hiya @MIDWEST_PREACHER,
    You don't specify which lens you are referring to, but if it is the one that came with your T5, then the answer is yes. The T5 and the 70D are both APS-C cameras and both will also accept any Canon EF (for full frame) or EF-S (for APS-C) lenses. You will notice on the camera body 2 dots - one red and the other white. EF lenses sport a red dot to align with the one on your camera and EF-S lenses have a white dot.
    Best regards,
    PBked
  • edited February 2016
    I'm interested in cheat sheets for the Canon T6i 70-300mm lens. Wondering if the cheat sheets can be applied to same lens but in a Tamron brand?
  • edited February 2016
    Hi,
    What matters is the focal length. The cheat sheets will apply to any brand - Canon, Sigma or Tamron - as long as they are 70-300mm.
    Regards,
    PBked
  • @Midwest_Preacher - Yes, all lenses for the T5 will be compatible with the 70D.
  • @motor - The set for the "75-300mm Lens" (on this page here : https://www.cameratips.com/canon/t6i/cheat-cards) is compatible with your T6i and the Tamron 70-300mm lens. All the best!
  • edited February 2016
    The cheat sheets do not mention my 28-70mm lens (Canon Rebel). Can I use the cheat sheets with another similar lens?
  • Hey @tedeggleston - Which Canon DSLR do you have? The cheat card set for the 24mm f/2.8 will be compatible with your 28-70mm. They share the same f/2.8 aperture, which is the most critical variable. All the settings will translate to your lens. All the best!
  • edited May 2016
    Hi, I've got a A6000 Sony camera. I'm experimenting with macro photography. I was advised to get a Raynox macro lens 250mm. My camera lens filter is 49mm. Can the Raynox 250mm fit to this 49mm lens filter? I appreciate your input.
  • edited June 2016
    I believe the basic Raynox kit fits 52mm and up, but the lens itself is smaller, and there is an adapter for smaller lenses.

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/dcr250/indexdcr250eg.htm

It looks too as if in the absence of the adapter you could get a 49mm to 52mm or 55mm step-up adapter (a standard filter ring accessory) and use that.
  • edited June 2016
    I want to buy an Nikon org objective 80-400mm for my new D5300. Manuel focus works, but autofocus does not work. Why?
  • edited June 2016
    @persteiro, the D5xxx and D3xxx cameras do not have a built in focus motor.
    They will autofocus only with a lens that has its own motor ("AF-S"). Older AF lenses that used a motor in the camera (usually either identified as plain AF or AF-D, along with a few AFG) will still meter with the camera but will not autofocus.

I imagine you're looking at the older 80-400mm, which is an AFD lens. Both the metering and the VR will work for you, but the autofocus will not. If you want autofocus, I'm afraid you'll need to spring for the very expensive (and much improved, so I hear) 80-400mm AFS-G.

• edited June 2016
    Thanks. Will the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS work with the D5300?
  • edited June 2016
    Not sure, because I don't know from that info whether you're referring to current model, which has all those letters plus "HSM" which refers to "hyper sonic motor". If you don't find an abbreviation for some kind of motor in the description, you must assume there is none, as many lenses have gone through several different iterations with features added. But I'm not sure if there even was a version with OS that did not also have the HSM.

If it's an AF lens with a built in motor in a Nikon SLR mount, it will work on a D5300 (assuming that there's nothing wrong with it or its firmware). Reviews I've seen on these vary but most seem to be pretty good, better for the later OS versions and better for the non macro.

Though it's a couple of years old now, this is the best rundown I've seen on the different designations for lenses and what they all mean:

http://dpanswers.com/content/lenses_specs.php
  • Hi again,
    Wondering if anyone out there has bought and used the Raynox DSR-250 on a Nikon D3100, and if so, do you think it well worth buying or not. I live in Australia and will need to purchase from the USA as there doesn't seem to be a distributor here.
    Thanks!
  • The lens you use will be more important than the specific camera. I have not used the Raynox, but I believe @moose has done so on the usual Nikon kit zoom, and has a review of it. For some reason I can never seem to find the right page, but with luck he will respond and provide the link again and can provide further information.

I have used other magnifier style macro lenses, and they work pretty well. Aside from the obvious advantage of being relatively cheap and very portable, they also do not interfere with the camera's AF and exposure controls.
  • Thanks Bruto, will look out for a response from the Moose himself!
  • Hi @brydon53 - As long as the lens you're using has a filter diameter between 52mm and 67mm, then you can clip the Raynox adapter to the front of the lens. You can read the full review here: https://www.cameratips.com/recommendations/raynox-dcr-250
  • edited April 2017
    I am new to the game. I am curious to what size lens would be appropriate to start with for out door, wildlife and general site seeing.

I have not finalized on a camera yet, but would appreciate thoughts on start up.

Budget for camera and start up lens is $2,000.
    Thanks.
  • edited April 2017
    That's a pretty broad category, but one possible suggestion that would keep you well within the budget might be the Nikon D7200 and its kit 18-140mm lens. That's a high quality portable combination, with good performance, sharp lens, and decent range from wide angle to medium telephoto. A very good traveling rig. The price for the kit would leave you some wiggle room for a spare battery and memory cards, and whatnot, and probably even allow for a decent longer telephoto. Other zoom lenses might be worth considering as well, such as the 18-300mm, which is a bit bulkier and may not be as good as the kit lens and a dedicated 300mm, but adds some versatility.

It depends a little on where you're starting, and on what level of photography you intend to go to. The D7200 is a very capable and somewhat complex camera, but still offers beginner-level automation. You'll have to spend some time getting used to its controls to use it at its best, but its best is very good. If you want less complexity, you can opt for a lower end camera, and spend the extra money on lenses. The D3x00 family are very good, make very good images, but lack some sophisticated features. The D5x00 family have considerably more features, including a better AF system, and an articulated rear screen that many people really like. The D7x00 family is bigger, more robustly made, with a top-notch AF system, many more user options, a better viewfinder, and the ability to auto focus with older AF lenses and to meter with manual lenses, which the others can't (although they will function manually).

If you plan to travel, it would help a lot to handle these cameras in the store, and see how they feel, and how they might pack. The D3000 and D5000 family are very conveniently small and light. The D7000 family is rugged and better resistant to weather, but less compact. With decent lenses, any of them will do the job.

I've traveled all over the world with a D3200, its 18-55mm kit lens and a 55-300mm zoom, with good results. On my last trip I replaced the 18-55mm with a 16-85mm, which is a little wider and more robustly made. Not appreciably sharper, nor as sharp as the 18-140mm, but decent and good for wide angles.

If you're doing wildlife, and birds in flight, you'll want more telephoto than 140mm, and even 300mm will be limiting, though not bad if the lens is really sharp at 300mm. If budget is a limiting factor you might consider spending less on the basic camera and reserving more for a quality telephoto.

Edit to add: I note on another thread that several people here have gotten, and liked, the 18-300mm lens. It's a relatively inexpensive super zoom, and if you're seriously looking for wildlife it might pay to try it out first, perhaps even to rent it, but if it's satisfactory at 300mm, you have things pretty well covered with a single lens.
  • edited April 2017
    Thank you vary much for taking the time on your post.
    It was extremely helpful and provided me with information to use while at the camera store. Curious of your opinion of Nikon version Canon.

I really appreciate your help and this forum.