Lens for volleyball tournament

edited January 2016 Posted in » Canon SL1 / 100D Forum
I will be going to a volleyball tournament this weekend. The lenses I own are the 18-55mm, 85mm f/1.8, and 75-300mm. I own all the cheat sheets for these lenses. Which lens should I use? I really am a beginner and don't want to invest in more lenses. What are some of the settings you would use? I'm desperate. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• edited January 2016
    I am shooting in manual mode, and my pictures seem to be ok.
  • edited January 2016
    Hi @VICKI,
    For sports you should be looking to use the 75-300mm, preferably on a tripod or monopod, because it is quite a big lens to mount on the SL1.
    I cannot give you much advice on settings as you don't say whether it is an outdoor or indoor tournament. It's a bit like telling me you have a noise in your car and can I identify the fault.
    However, for sports you need a high shutter speed to capture action, somewhere in the region of 1/1000th or more. For depth of field you do not want to go much below f/4 for your aperture - smaller if possible like f/8. Leave auto ISO selected.
    Now whether these settings are possible will depend on the amount of light and you may have to tweak them on the day to get your results.
    I do not have Moose's cheat sheets, but I'm sure his cards will offer some help for action shots.
    Regards,
    PBked
  • edited January 2016
    Thanks so much. It is indoors, and after researching it, that's pretty much what I came up with. Thanks again.