Remote shutter release

edited November 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
What is the best remote shutter release to use with this camera; wireless or wired?

Comments

• edited November 2015
    The wireless works fine for basic shutter release and will also give you a true time exposure when the shutter speed is set to B. The first push will open, and the second will close. That's the only way to get a hands-off time exposure with the D3200 and it works fine. You can set a two second delay, so that if you're in the picture you can drop the remote.

If you have the normal shutter button focus mode, the camera will focus with the remote, but no other controls are available. If you are using back button focus, the focus behavior is confusing and irrational, but unless you do there is no point in outlining its anomalies.
  • edited November 2015
    Thanks for the comments. Do I need a WU-1 to go with the wireless remote? Are you referring to the wireless remote by Nikon or another brand? What about a wired remote.
  • edited November 2015
    For the D3200 you need nothing but the ML-L3 wireless remote, Nikon or third party equivalent. B&H has one for about 6 bucks, which works fine. Target has a multi-brand one that includes the Nikon for something around $10. I think you can get wired remotes that do a few other functions, but for the basic shutter firing the remote works fine.

• edited November 2015
    Thanks again.
  • edited April 2016
    Hi, can I just join in without high jacking the forum post. I have the ML-L3 wireless remote with the D3200, and can't find how to use it. Can someone please point me in in the correct direction as how to set it please?
    Best wishes, Brian
  • There is a shutter release mode button on the back of the camera, and when you push that and open the menu, you should see among the choices two for the remote release. One has a two second delay, and the other is immediate. The immediate one you won't see unless you arrow down. Set the shutter mode to one of these, and the shutter release will be given to the remote. These are positions 4 and 5 on the menu, with an icon of a little box with a button on it, and rays emanating from the top.

You must be either facing the camera, as for a selfie, or directly behind it, and you may have to try a couple of times to find the best position behind.

Unlike the self timer setting, which resets every time you shoot, the remote remains set for a period of time, so you can use it several times in a row without going back to the mode setting.

There is a menu setting that allows you to choose how long the camera waits for a remote release before defaulting back to normal release (from 1 to 15 minutes). It will always default back when you turn it off. If you're waiting around for an event, and it gets near to your set limit, just take a throwaway shot, and the clock restarts.

With one notable exception, the timer does not do anything except what the shutter button does. It does not involve any other controls. The one exception is that when you have the shutter setting at "B" the button leaves the shutter open after one activation, and shuts it on the second, a true time exposure not possible without it.

If you have the full (PDF) version of the instructions, you'll find what little there is on page 33.
  • edited April 2016
    Really huge help @Bruto as I have no manual yet. Very grateful to you. Brian
  • edited April 2016
    If you did not get the CD with your camera, go to the Nikon USA web site, and you can navigate to Customer support for the D3200, and there you can download the free PDF manual. The printed manual that came with the camera was abridged anyway, and this is the full one. If you put it on your computer it's always handy to have, and I think there is even some utility that allows you to put it on an Iphone or tablet, etc.

Edit to add: Now that I think of it, I think somewhere on this site Moose has provided either the manuals or the links for them too.

• edited April 2016
    Here is a link to the manual: https://www.cameratips.com/d3200/manual
  • edited April 2016
    Wow so very grateful for all the help and what an amazing forum to have stumbled upon. My Nikon D3200 came yesterday off Ebay uk and it looks like it's in nice condition, except there was no charger with it, just a battery which now needs charging. The charger won't arrive until Tuesday, so I am trying to learn a little about the D3200. The manual will be brilliant while I wait for the charger, so thanks again. I also have my trusty D70, which also has given me a lot of pleasure, not that I am anywhere near a good photographer.
    Best wishes, Brian