Courses That Teach Photography

edited December 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I want to hear whether anyone has taken any photography courses and what did they think of them? Were they beneficial? I'm thinking if doing this online course by photography institute: http://www.thephotographyinstitute.com.au/
I have read several reviews about it and it's half and half in terms of whether it is good or not. Some people loved it and others hated it. It's online and costs a whooping $1000!
I'm thinking of doing it but still fishing around to see if there aren't better ones. So let me know of any course you have done so that I have many options. I think courses where you actually attend classes are better than ones online, but the ones I'm seeing are online only.
Thank you

Comments

• Have you looked at the Canon Academy?

They have day courses around Australia and online ones as well.
  • edited January 2013
    Ok, thanks for that Withns
  • edited January 2013
    Melissa,
    You may want to take a look at some of the DVD's offered as well. I just purchased one, lumpstart guide to the EOS 60D. I'm getting a lot of insight into my new camera. It's two hours long, but you can start and stop, and go back later.
    Kethone

• edited May 2015
    Hi Everyone. I am fairly new here but I recently completed the Diploma course with a group named Online Camera Ed. They are fully online. I thought the course was great and can only speak highly of them. I am not sure whether I am allowed to say that on here so maybe you should just check them out at http://www.onlinecameraed.com/. They were also fairly affordable and one big thing that worked for me was that they offered payment plans as I don't have a lot of surplus cash each month. In class courses I looked at were a lot more expensive (one place quoted me $16,000.00 I kid you not) and with my work commitments I can't always make a regular class so the online thing was my choice. Good luck with finding a course that suits you. Regards Leigh
  • edited May 2015
    My sister is studying with online camera ed and she is saying they have been no drama to deal with at all. It is pretty good for her as she was living here in Australia when she started with them but moved to Canada with her job and I guess because of the whole internet thing she has just continued her studies. I know one thing and I am no expert, but I have seen her pictures, especially the ones she takes in Canada, and they blow me away so I reckon they must be teaching her pretty well. Gee I am impressed with Canada. I must try and get there one day.
  • edited May 2015
    I really have nothing to add and wish all who take any course the best. Whatever you learn and however you learn it, it's better than not learning it.

I do have an anecdote, though, about a friend who many years ago took an adult education course in photography. He said it was mostly a waste of time, but that he did learn one invaluable thing at the beginning of the first lesson, which was worth the price of the course. The teacher warned his students never to let the camera strap dangle over the edge of a table.

So there you are. Try not to smash your camera. I take checks or paypal.
  • edited May 2015
    Hi,
    I will add my anecdote. When I was a young whippersnapper (yes I can just remember those days), I applied for a photography course at a local college. Before embarking on the course, I entreated the organiser for an idea of the sort of equipment and film I would need. I was told that for the first few weeks I would need no equipment as it would be supplied.
    On the first evening, one or two others and I were quite excited about the sort of equipment we would get. The lesson started and we were all presented with a piece of black card with a rectangle cut out corresponding to the same ratio as a 35mm film negative. "Before you worry about equipment" the lecturer said, "you are going to learn how to see".
    PBked
  • edited May 2015
    @pbked, that's a pretty good idea. Another I ran across long ago, which does not apply these days to color photography, but was useful in B&W, was to wear yellow glasses like the traditional "shooting glasses", or to look through a yellow or red filter, so as to learn to see shapes and forms mono chromatically. Of course that does not apply so much to color.

Many years ago my wife took a weekend workshop with a local pro, and one of the things he mentioned was that many photographers concentrate so much on the subject that they tune out some distractions in the final picture. Of course this is also more applicable to the former world of slides where editing and cropping are not ready options, but it's true that we often take a grand picture, and then when we open it up we find there's a blurry blade of grass, a branch or overhead wires we had not noticed. So remember to look around the whole frame.
  • Check out udemy.com