Recording on T3i

edited February 2015 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
Every time I try recording, my camera says "recording stopped automatically", even when my 32GB memory card is completely clear. Sometimes it'll get up to 30 seconds before automatically stopping, and other times it'll get up to 10 minutes before stopping automatically, so I'm wondering what the issue is. I'd like to be able to record up to 30 minutes! Some people say it's because the T3i isn't meant to record, it's meant to photograph, but I've seen many videos posted to YouTube that were recorded on a T3i and are much longer than 30 seconds! Any suggestions as to what I could/should do?

Comments

• Hey @Ugonma - Does your 32GB card have a Class 10 rating or higher? If not, it could be because your card is too slow to write HD video to it. Here's some more info on it: http://www.cameratips.com/t3i/memory-card
  • edited February 2015
    Hi,
    I can only confirm what Moose has said. The lowest recommended card is class 6 so a class 10 is a better option. Sandisk include in their range cards which are optimised for video.
    Your camera will stop recording automatically if an individual file size reaches 4GB or a total time of 29mins 59secs.
    I'm afraid I'm old school - just because you can record video on a DSLR doesn't mean you should. For best video, buy a video camera.
    Regards
    PBked
  • edited March 2015
    Hey, I'm just starting with my T3i, and ran into the same problem - won't record video for anything more than 12 minutes, even though the specs say 30. I found this video on YouTube which says the same thing Moose says above:

).

So I bought a 32gig class 10 SanDisk Extreme Plus card (60MB/s write speed), but that didn't fix the problem.

Any other suggestions? I really need to find a way to get it to record the full 30 minutes without stopping. Thanks.
  • edited March 2015
    I think I answered my own question, and it's bad news.

Found this info on an official Canon troubleshooting forum, in a thread about this same problem. Here's the response from a Canon representative:

"The camera is only capable to recording a single clip that is 4GB in size, which is about 12 minutes or so of full HD video."

So where does this 30 minutes figure come from? Is it one of those fine print/asterisk things, where it should read "it can record up to 30 minutes continuously*"

(*if you're shooting in 480. Anything higher than that and your recording time will be significantly diminished)

I'm a bit disappointed in that, but 12 minutes isn't the end of the world, I guess. It's manageable, but definitely not ideal. Otherwise, it's a super amazing camera.

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-Rebel/T3i-movie-recording-has-automatically-stopped-and-other-ongoing/td-p/22381
  • edited March 2015
    Hi,
    I think you will find I gave that information in my post above. However, can I just point out that continuous filming is bad practice. Cinema movies are made up of many shorter clips edited together. By shooting short clips from different angles interest is maintained whereas one continuous loop just becomes boring after a while. Unlike stills photography, movies need some prior thinking and planning. This is why the professionals develop storyboards before they shoot a second of film. One of the worst examples of 'home' movies I have seen recently was one where the camera had been set up at a racetrack and left to shoot. Every minute and a half or so there was a blur of cars and then an empty racetrack for another minute and a half. This video was 30 minutes long and I fell asleep after the first five.
    Another big fault with 'home' movies is over zealous use of the zoom ring. Viewing a film which is constantly zooming in and out is one surefire way of bringing on a migraine.
    I make these points because I spent some time in the film industry and I have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't and I will repeat what I said above - for good video, buy a video camera.
    PBked
  • edited April 2015
    Thanks for the words, PBKed. I'm not making 'films' per se. I make full length concert videos, and I have a nice Canon Vixia video camera for that, which can shoot 7 1/2 hours continuous if I need it, but the image simply doesn't look DSLR quality. It looks closer to my S100 point and shoot.

The longer I can leave the camera recording, the less syncing I have to do in post, which means less work for me. My S100 can record for 15 minutes at a time, so for an hour long performance, I'll only have to sync it to the Vixia in four spots. If this T3i could record the full 30 minutes, I'd only have to sync it twice. Not a big deal, but if I could find a way to cut my work in half, I would.

But as I said, 12 minutes isn't totally unmanageable, so I'll deal with it.
  • edited April 2015
    Hi again,
    I apologise for my earlier rant and getting on my high horse. It's just one of these things that bugs me. I am against manufacturers who try to convince us that 'all-in-one' products are what we need. I will have nothing to do with camera/phones and the like. To me, you don't buy a car because it has 2 cup holders in the dashboard and if they built a motorbike which could also make smoothies, I wouldn't buy 1 for my kitchen.
    As you noted, you can shoot for 29 mins and 59 secconds if you use a lower resolution, but 12 minutes is the best you can do on higher res.
    Once again, my apologies for my rant.
    Best regards,
    PBked
  • No apologies necessary, PBked. All is good.
  • edited November 2015
    Hello Moose,
    I just downloaded your Canon T3i cheat cards for my 2 lenses (18-55mm and 55-250mm) and I'm excited to try them out.
    I had a Canon T4i, which died suddenly, but bought a T3i so I can utilize my lenses, extra batteries, etc. I transferred the Black Belkin Class 8 64G SD XC card into the T3i and took photos and filmed video, but when I put the card into my MacBook Pro it was unable to read the card. I presume this was because I probably needed to reformat the card first since I was switching to a different model camera? Should I reformat my two cards with the T3i?
    Many thanks, Scott in Austin, Texas
  • edited November 2015
    Hello Moose,
    I have a Canon XF 100 as my primary video camera, but want to use my Canon T3i as a second video camera. I'll be filming minor league basketball games and would love to buy a video settings Cheat Card! Unlike the T4i, I must turn the mode dial to video (I can't use a scene setting, etc). Will you create a Cheat Card for this and would you please aim me in the right direction in the meantime?!
    Thanks again, Scott in Austin, Texas
  • I solved the card issue without having to reformat it.