Cheat Sheet 50mm f/1.8

edited March 2015 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hi Moose, how transferable are the cheat card settings for the Canon 50mm f/1.8 on a T2i to a 50mm f/1.4 on a T2i? Thanks for any help!

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Speaking out of turn as a Nikon guy with some experience of various 50mm lenses, any setting on one, if duplicated on the other, will be essentially the same. You get 2/3 of a stop faster speed with the f/1.4 with correspondingly better low light performance, and a little shallower depth of field, but the added speed is pretty minor. The lens itself is almost certainly better made and heftier in construction, being a more expensive one. It may distort a little more wide open, but will probably catch up and surpass the f/1.8 as you stop down some. Minor differences in chromatic aberration, flatness of field, and quality of bokeh (some in favor of one lens and some of the other), will most likely never be noticed.

Edit to add: I should mention that at least in the Nikon world, and I think in Canon too, the slower lens has a more recessed front element, making it easier to shoot often without a hood. The front element of the f/1.4 is more prominent, making a hood more necessary. Make sure you get a correct lens hood, and remember that it can shade the built in flash.
  • edited March 2015
    Thank you, Bruto!
  • edited March 2015
    Hi,
    Take time to evaluate the Sigma 50mm f/1.4. It outperformed the Canon in all areas. A friend and professional photographer has told me it is now his favorite lens. However, it is expensive and larger and heavier than the Canon. Also well received was the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 which is less expensive.
    PBked
  • edited March 2015
    I was assuming here that the lens is already gotten. If not, I would consider either the Sigma or the cheaper Canon f/1.8, which remains one of the biggest lens bargains offered by anyone.
  • Hey @nate - There wont be much difference, however, I would use a lower aperture f/number in certain situations than what is recommended in the 50mm f/1.8 cards. For example, with regards to nighttime portraits, I would adjust the aperture all the way down to f/1.4, rather than f/1.8. I'm working on a set for the 50mm f/1.4 and hope to have it available soon. All the best!