Memory Card Fatigue

edited March 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I need to get photos off my camera frequently, so I often remove the memory card, insert it into my PC, and return it to the camera. So far, I am having failure issues with my second memory card. Is there some way to get the photos off another way? I am very gentle in dealing with the memory cards, so I don't know what I should be doing differently. Should I wait until I have dozens of photos before taking out the memory card to transfer them to my PC?

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Try reading the card in the camera, or in another reader. You can get pictures off the camera into a computer using a cable. Some computers have problems from time to time with a card.

If you have any card issues, do not ever edit photos on the card. Get them on the computer first. A glitchy computer interface can cause errors when it tries to write back to the card. When it does, it can clobber the file system and lose all your pictures. My laptop does this sometimes. I finally learned the hard way.

As soon as you have managed to get the photos off the card and into a readable form somewhere, backed up, etc., I suggest you reformat the card in the camera. Until you're sure all is working right, don't accumulate a lot of photos on one card. Copy and back up as often as you can.
  • edited March 2015
    Thanks for the response. What cable can I use with the Nikon D3100? How do I reformat the card? I'm still very much a beginner with this camera.
  • edited March 2015
    It seems the D3100 did not come with a cable (the D3200 did). It will have a very small micro USB connector on the camera end (a/v out) and a regular computer USB on the other end. The official Nikon part is UC-E4, but it's a common type and should be available cheaper at Staples or other such places. It uses a Mini USB type B connector, and the instructions say it should have a ferrite core at the camera end (to reduce stray interference). The connection is the A/V connector under the rubber cover on the left.

Most versions of Windows should recognize the camera as soon as you plug it in, and allow you to read files and transfer them. The storage options may not be what you like, but once they're anywhere on the computer you can use Windows Explorer to move them to the folder of your choice. If you got the CD with the camera, it should contain not only the full instruction manual in PDF form, but Nikon View NX2 and Nikon Transfer, and Nikon Transfer can be used. If you bought the camera used or otherwise bundled without the OEM CD, you can get the contents from Nikon's website.
    I

You reformat the card in the camera using the setup menu. It will ask if you really want to do it, because it will erase all data on the card. If you really want to delete the contents of a card, it's a good idea to reformat, and it's always advisable to do this in the camera rather than a computer.
  • Thank you!!!