Advice for buying a D3100

edited February 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi there, I've just started of shooting pics with my Sony Xperia z2, and as the saying goes the bug has bit me. I've been searching up cameras and found that the D3100 will be the only affordable one for me according to my budget. I mainly shoot sunsets, nature, buildings etc so any advice would be appreciated before I take the leap and buy one. There are two bundles; one with a 18-55mm lens and one with a twin set which includes the 55-200mm (whatever those mean).
So, that's where I stand.

Comments

• edited February 2015
    The D3100 is a fine camera, but at today's prices, either the D3200 or the D3300 would be a much better choice. Either of them is significantly better than the D3100 and just marginally more expensive.

Lenses are differentiated by focal lengths and maximum aperture. The lens specs that you mentioned are focal ranges. I would suggest that you just search "focal length" on Wikipedia.
  • edited February 2015
    For sunsets, buildings and scenery the shorter lens (18-55mm) will probably be the one you use more. There will likely be times when you want to zoom in further on distant objects, people, animals and so forth, and the 55-200mm will be very useful for that. If you do portraits of people, you may find the 55-200mm gives you a nicer looking shot because of its shallower depth of field.

If the bundle price is only a little more with the extra lens, then it's probably worth while, but you should be aware that the 55-200mm is a fairly inexpensive lens even new. It is often (and currently) sold with Nikon rebates, and is also offered in bundle deals with the D3200 and others. Discounters are selling it new for about $180, and it can be found used for a little less, so don't overpay.

I agree that if at all possible you should seek out a D3200 (also now out of production, but more recent than the 3100) or a D3300. Though the D3100 is very good, there are incremental improvements in each generation. The D3200, for example, has a more up to date sensor, updated processor, and (small but very nice) allows the use of a cheap infrared remote shutter release for vibration free macros and very long exposures.

Just what deal you get will depend on where you are and what is available where you are. A D3100 will do much and is a bargain at the prices we see nowadays, but if you can, I join in the suggestion of a D3200 or 3300.