Best basic settings

edited January 2015 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I just went from a T3i to the 60D and I'm having a problem getting my settings right. I want to use back button focusing using the af-on, and I can't seem to figure it out in the custom settings menu.

Comments

• Hey @Helene610 - You can adjust the functions of the shutter button, AF ON button, and AE lock button inside the Custom Settings menu (C.Fn IV -1). You'll see some options there to tweak it how you'd like. All the best!
  • edited January 2015
    I guess I am also confused as to what AE does? I'm not in front of the camera at the moment. I want to be able to track a subject and lock focus all with one button. I get confused with the 2 buttons that I keep hitting on the back; the Af-ON button and the other one with the star like icon on it.

Thanks for your help!
  • @Helene610 - To be honest, you might be better off enabling AI Focus AF rather than worrying about back button focusing. With AI Focus AF enabled, it will allow you to lock focus on a motionless subject and if the subject starts to move, it will switch over to continuous focus automatically. So for example, so you're trying to photograph a bird and the bird is currently perched on a branch. You would half press the shutter and in doing so you could lock the focus and recompose the framing of the shot. If the bird begins to fly, continuous focus will kick in and you'll be able to keep it in focus as it flies around the sky. All the best!
  • edited January 2015
    Thanks! I definitely like back button focus and I normally have it on AI Servo. I have trained my fingers for back button, but maybe I will re-train and use the shutter button. Thanks for your help, I will play with it tonight.