Settings and lenses for 4-wheeling

edited December 2014 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
My family is going 4 wheeling tomorrow and I'm wondering what settings (ISO/shutterspeed/aperture) and what lenses I should use. I have the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm. It's not on a track, just basic riding. My point shoot did ok, but was blurry.

Comments

• You're going to want to check out the chart available here:
    http://blog.snapfactory.com/?page_id=3643
  • edited December 2014
    Which lens will depend on how far away you are, but probably the 55-200mm if you want relatively close shots from a distance.

If you want to leave everything up to the camera, you might try sports mode. I think you'd do well with a fairly fast shutter speed, say about 250, using S mode, auto ISO, with AF set to "dynamic area" and "A". The completely automatic focus mode does not always choose what you want to focus on. Depth of field is probably less of an issue than stopping motion if you get good focus on your subject. A higher ISO will tend to give you smaller apertures (better depth of field) at a given shutter speed, and since the D3200 is pretty good on this front, I'd put my starting point at about 400.

Make sure you have not accidentally moved the focus point (little red dot in viewfinder), which is easy to do. Every once in a while, I hit the "OK" button to recenter it, because it's easy to bump the switch with a finger.

If it's daylight with a lot of contrast, make sure Active D-lighting is on - it will help with shadow detail. If the surroundings are very bright or snowy, you might also want to switch your metering mode to center-weighted. If too much of the scene is very bright, the meter will underexpose faces.

If you shoot in RAW mode, you can correct minor exposure errors easily with ViewNX2, along with some other things.