Is the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens suitable for Canon EOS 60D?

edited June 2014 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Is the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens suitable for Canon EOS 60D?
Currently I’m looking at the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens for my new Canon 60D (going to purchase soon). This is my first DSLR and I don’t know if the lens is suitable for the camera.
Can anyone tell me whether the 24-105mm lens is suitable and/or suggest another lens that I should invest in?
I'm looking for a general purpose lens, something that can zoom and take decent photos in low light as well.
Thanks

Comments

• edited June 2014
    Hi there,
    This lens has long been touted as an excellent walk around lens. Don't forget though that its effective focal range on your crop factor 60D would be 38-168mm so the low end would not be as wide angle as on a full frame body. The other factor you may want to consider is weight. The 25-105mm is quite a heavy lens to carry around your neck all day which of course is due mainly to all that top quality glass that is used in L lenses.
    F/4 is not a great aperture for low light work on the short end, but obviously has the advantage over other lenses by still being f/4 at the long end. Have a look at some of the f/2.8 offerings from Tamron and Sigma for low light work. They also have some useful focal lengths and are a lot cheaper than Canon.
    Regards,
    PBked
  • edited July 2014
    Thanks for the advice.
  • edited September 2014
    The Canon 15-85mm is a great walk about lens. It's the same as the 24-105mm on a full frame.
  • edited September 2014
    Should be noted that the 15-85mm on the 60D has the equivalent field of view as a theoretical 24-136mm lens on full frame. So not exactly 24-105mm, but close enough.

The major difference is that the 15-85mm is a variable aperture lens that goes from f/3.5 on the short end to f/5.6 on the long end. So once you zoom past 24mm, the 24-105mm f/4 becomes the faster lens.