Graduation pictures

edited May 2014 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Moose,

My daughter will be graduating soon and I have no clue which lens I should use to photograph it. I don't know how close to the stage we will be as the seats are first come, first serve. The lenses that I have are: 18-55mm, 55-200mm and 55-300mm. I'm not sure if I will be able to use my tripod.

Thanks, Susan

Comments

• edited May 2014
    Why not bring both the 18-55mm and the 55-300mm so you have all the focal ranges covered?
    That said, you'll probably be using the tele zoom, unless the stage is very close and it's very small. The 55mm is unlikely to bring you close enough to the action.
    On an unrelated note, why do you have both the 55-200mm and the 55-300mm? You should sell the 55-200mm since it's redundant.
  • edited May 2014
    One was given to me as a gift. I would be willing to sell it; I have never used it. It is literally brand new still in its box.
  • edited June 2014
    @SusanKB what kind of lens is it? I'm looking to get another lens.
  • I'd check to see if either zoom lens has VR before I decided to scale down. My kit lens didn't have it. Wish my zoom did.
  • edited May 2015
    I was interested in an ideal lens for a football field graduation as well; probably my zoom.
  • edited May 2015
    Don't expect to be able to use a tripod. You are not likely to have time, and may have to move around.

Many graduations I've seen allow you some time and some way to get into an aisle or viewing spot to catch the graduate on the march, but usually one must get in and out pretty quickly to make way for others. For the actual ceremony on the stage you will probably be at or near your seat. It's unlikely you'll need a length shorter than 55mm. I'd mount the 55-300mm for the event, keeping the shorter lens on hand for pre and post work, as one might have opportunities for more intimate shots, portraits with friends and the like before and after the ceremony itself.

If it's indoors, make sure your ISO is not too low. Make sure you are using single point auto focus and not multi point, as the camera will not know which graduate is yours.