Dance Recital

kaekae
edited April 2014 Posted in » Canon Lens Talk
Hi, I was reading the thread that started with Jennifer and the dance recital. I have a T2i and a Canon 70-300mm lens (I also have the 18-55mm). While I have had my camera for several years, I have spent most of the time outside at sporting events and the sport mode works great - not so much for indoor dance recitals and I have had hit or miss success. I am trying to figure out how I change the setting for the TV setting. I can change the ISO to auto but I can't figure out how to change the 1/125 to anything else. Any hints or is there a better setting for my lens?

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Hi,
    Choose Tv mode and then turn the little command dial on the right top of the camera to set your shutter speed. You will need something higher than 1/500 on your 70-300mm and preferably nearer to 1/1000 if you want to capture blur free action. However, indoors this may require a high ISO which could make your pictures very noisy. It would also mean the camera would choose a very large aperture which reduces the depth of field.
    There are 3 things you can do: 1) experiment with your settings until noise levels are acceptable and then increase your exposure by using the exposure compensation button, 2) use a noise reduction software in post processing, and 3) use flash if you are close enough to the action.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    PBked