To upgrade or not

edited January 2014 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Hi all, I have a Canon 550D (2 years old) and I'm wondering if an upgrade to a 60D is a good option for me? I tend to take pictures of wildlife and low flying military jets....I know, quite a difference! Recent additions to our family (babies) have encouraged me to take more people shots and portraits.

I have a set of nice lenses; Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, Simga 17-50mm f/2.8-4.5 and my treasured Canon 300mm f/4.0.

Just wondered what other's personal experiences might have been, and what the critical differences may be between the 550D and the 60D that would help me in my photographic journey!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Hi Mike
    "Who would fardels bear...." (same Hamlet speech) .
    I have a Canon 550D and have no intention of upgrading while it's still working - it's a great little camera. However, if you are feeling the upgrade bug, why not jump the 60D to the newer 70D? It has had good write-ups and gives you a few more bells and whistles than the 550D or the 60D.
    You have a great set of lenses by the way.
    Regards, PBked
  • edited January 2014
    Hi PBKed, thanks for that. I'm coming to the same conclusion to re-upgrade. For the aviation stuff, I understand that the 60D will track and focus faster which might be worthwhile.

Why would you suggest the 70D?
  • edited January 2014
    Hi again.
    For me, one big selling point would be the inclusion of a physical lock switch for the rear dial. You would see from the number of comments on this forum how many people have accidentally upset their settings.
    The tracking problem is mainly when shooting continuously in live view. I don't know about you, but I rarely use live view although it does have its uses - when photographing still subjects for example.
    The hybrid dual AF sensor has been well received as has the tilt and swivel touch screen.
    See what the experts say at www.dpreview.com.
    At the end of the day, it is your decision. Happy shooting!
    Regards, PBked
  • edited January 2014
    Thanks PBked. I've looked into this a little more, and I'm getting a bit tempted now! The major differences, for me anyway, seem to be faster shooting (5.3 fps v 3.7fps), more cross type focus points (9 versus 1, so better for fast moving objects such as birds, wildlife and jets ), weather sealed and heavier, which (I think) means more stable with long lenses.

In terms of other Canon cameras, I can't justify the move to full frame on grounds of cost!

I'd be really interested know from others if they've gone through this upgrade process, and, if so, what did they think of the newer camera.