Buy the kit or body only and 1-2 lenses?

edited November 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I am deciding on purchasing the D5100. My favorite type of photography is more distance than close up, such as bridges, landscape, lighthouses, sunset/sunrise, and so on. I also like taking candid shots of people, but from a distance (that's not to say I don't take close-up shots). I also want to learn to take water (Gulf of Mexico, lakes, rivers) shots where you slow down the movement. I am assuming that can be done from a distance too. Lastly, I want to learn night shooting like night cityscapes (if that's what it's called).
My questions are, should I just buy the kit that comes with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm, or should I buy only the body and the lens you suggest for the All-in-On Walkaround (Tamron 18-270mm)?
My funds are $800-900.
And what about filters?
Thanks!

Comments

• edited January 2014
    I know this is old, but the Tamron you are looking at probably does not have VR or similar image stabilization which you will definitely need going above 200mm.
  • edited January 2014
    Hi,
    The Tamron 18-270mm pzd does have image stabilization, which works pretty well. It is also quite quick to focus. However, as @germanshepherd suggests, you will need a very steady hand or a mono/tripod for sharp photos at the 270mm end.
    Regards, PBked