60D Image Sharpness Problem

edited February 2013 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I have had my 60D for about two years with the lenses from my old EOS film cameras. Last year I splashed out on the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS Mark 2 II USM lens and a Tamron B005 SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD Aspherical (IF). Neither of these lenses give me the sharpness I was hoping for, even shooting in RAW. I tried the old EOS lenses and the kit lens again, but all images are still not sharp enough. I have tried auto and manual focusing, but to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• edited February 2013
    There is a previous thread which it might be worth you reading:
    http://forums.cameratips.com/discussion/1320/canon-50mm-f1.4-usm-lens-with-pictures-out-of-focus

Also, has your dioptric adjustment knob moved without you realizing it (see page 39 of the manual)?
  • edited February 2013
    Hi Mister D,
    The dioptric adjustment is set OK for my sight. AF Mode is set for one shot (for stills and landscapes) and I have the AF Point set for either center or nine point. Subjects mainly are well lit. The camera is set on a sturdy Benbo tripod and I use either the remote CR6 or 2 second timer.
  • edited February 2013
    @liontamer I'm not sure why I would turn off the IS; surely this would be beneficial. Could you enlighten me please?
  • edited February 2013
    There's something about the IS that is actually causing shake while it's searching for it, and of course there should be none when the camera is tripod mounted! This is bizarre but apparently true. Are you saying that even (re)using your old lenses, they're now also not as good as they used to be? In this case, the body itself seems to be the common denominator and may need to be professionally looked over.

• edited February 2013
    I'll try it with the IS off. The camera was new when I got it and I thought it was just me not focusing properly with the kit lens. That's why I tried the lenses from my EOS film cameras. I thought buying the Canon EF 70-200mm and Tamron B005 would cure it. I tried the Canon software update, but had trouble with loading that as well, as the camera didn't recognize it. I can only assume that I got a bad piece of kit. I'll keep working on it, thanks.
  • edited February 2013
    Hi, I have the same problem with my new 60D. I sent it to Canon and I'm waiting for an answer. I used the same lenses with my 40D and both work very well (Tamron B005E and Canon 70-200mm f/4 L).
  • edited February 2013
    Wow @liontamer 900/1000 kept and you're not thrilled with the 60D? I moved up from the Fuji S100 bridge and haven't looked back since! And just curious, why liontamer?
  • edited February 2013
    Ah, @liontamer now I understand! I was born in August (which makes me a Leo) and my middle name is Leonard (after my Dad). I snapped this old boy at the Colchester zoo (Essex, England) on a freezing cold Easter holiday when even the Siberian tigers were reluctant to step outside!
    http://ih3.redbubble.net/image.3821732.8085/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg
  • edited February 2013
    Hey @Moose just a thought/suggestion. How about making some space here for us regulars to post just one photo (to be substituted only when we're bored with it or take an even better photo) as our contribution to the world of photography (all rights reserved)? I bet liontamer's got some beauties!
  • edited February 2013
    Strangely, I never noticed it before! Grizzle?

I like the idea of getting a private users section somewhere on the internet. I will investigate and get back to you.
  • Howdy @liontamer and @MisterD - I like the idea of a private users group to share photos with one another. My guess is that Flickr my be the best place to do it. Any thoughts?
  • edited February 2013
    These posts have gone a little astray from my 60D image sharpness problem, however, a private group would be a good idea on Flickr.
  • @SteveG - If you don't mind, let's get back to the basics. In the shots where you're experiencing noticeable issues, what is your focal length and shutter speed set to? Are you shooting wide open (largest aperture on your lens) or are you stopping down to say f/4 to f/5.6?
  • edited February 2013
    Hi @SteveG,

I think one of the issues you also need to consider is depth of field. Canon L lenses are great but with a constant f/2.8 aperture depth of field is very limited. For example, the Canon f/2.8 at a focal length of 200mm focussed on an object 20 feet away only has a depth of field of about 4 inches. This is why old pros like liontamer and I revert to manual focussing or using the centre AF point only. If you rely on the full nine AF points and there is an object just 1 foot in front of or behind the subject, chances are that your camera will focus on that instead.

Other causes of blur could be due to the shutter release. When using a tripod, best results come from using a remote release, using the self-timer or using mirror lock-up. I am not a fan of live view, but providing you are taking a static subject and using a tripod, live view enables you to zoom in and check focus.

Hope these suggestions are of use and if I have covered ground you already know, my apologies.

Regards,
    PBked
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks for all the positive comments. I'll get out more and try your suggestions.
  • edited February 2013
    @liontamer - At my age, falling on anything sucks. Hope you recover soon.
  • hello SteveG
    i have a canon 60D which is having the same problem as yours. focus out pictures especially in wide angle.
  • This seems to be a common theme. From time to time I have periods were the shots from my 60D are soft and yet their are time where they are sharp.

I can't put my finger on the cause, but can you tell me if the metering settings affect the focus?

I ask this as I suspect that when I have the "soft shots" I have my metering on evaluative and get better shots when I use Spot Metering.

I have tried various lenses from my kit 18-55 & 55-250 and a variety of others with similar results.

I want to understand what is going on as I want to upgrade my lenses, but I am hesitant until I sort this out.
  • I've been experiencing soft focus issues, as well, and am wondering if anyone has had Canon check their camera. If so, what was the cost (should be free, since this is apparently an often-reported issue. You'd think that maybe they'd issue a firmware upgrade that might address the problem, since they were kind enough to leave the micro-adjust capability off this model.
  • Hi Guys. I have the same problem with my Canon 60d. Does not really focusing on objects. Done tests on tripod, remote, good light and shutter speed 1/125, still no focus even with my 50mm 1.8 lens. Did anyone have any feedback from Canon for such issue?