How to use Shutter Priority on the Nikon D3200

edited October 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Howdy friends! I just finished a quick video tutorial, showing you how to use Shutter Priority with the Nikon D3200. Check it out and give me a thumbs up if you like it. :)

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Hey @Moose, the whole shutter speed thing should really help me out, but I have a question.

I'm going to the World rally championship this year and I'm hoping to get some great shots of the cars in mid air as they come over a jump.

What sort of settings do you think would be best? Whether its of any use, I assume the cars would be traveling 70+MPH.
  • edited November 2013
    Hey @Clayton - You'll want to set your shutter speed to 1/1000 in order to freeze action that fast. You may even have to bump it up to 1/2000.

As for focusing, I would set your focus mode to AF-S and the AF area mode to Single-point AF. Then pre-focus on a part of the track where the cars will be crossing over. You can pre-focus by half-pressing the shutter. Once they enter the frame, fully press the shutter to capture.

To increase your odds of capturing a winner, I would set the release mode to continuous. With it enabled, you can hold down the shutter and fire off a bunch of shots in quick succession. All the best!