Welcome!

edited August 2013 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Howdy dudes and dudettes! Well, it's pretty simple. If you've got questions about your Canon 60D, you can start a new discussion and get tons of helpful replies from other 60D owners all across the world, including yours truly. :)

To get started, go ahead and register an account here at Camera Tips.

To start a new topic or discussion, just click the Ask a New Question button in the upper right hand corner.

To reply to a current topic, just click a thread below and you'll see a Post Comment button towards the bottom of the discussion.

Happy shooting!

Comments

• edited January 2015
    I want to know what are good settings to use for a Cannon 60D with a ef 50mm lens with a f/1.8 during the day and at night.
  • Hey @TyMelodypic - It all depends on the subject or scene. The settings will vary based on things like...

1. Is the subject moving or is it motionless?
    2. Are you shooting hand-held or using a tripod?
    3. Are you trying to blur the background or get everything in focus?

If you're just looking to capture general everyday shots, then stick to Program (P) mode. This will ensure you end up with a well balanced exposure. If you want to get more creative with photography, then you'll need specific settings for specific scenarios.

All the best!
  • edited January 2015
    Dear Moose,

I am looking for macro lens for my 60D. Which is the best macro lens I should buy?

1. Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens
    or
    2. Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM

I saw in a forum some people said 100mm only for full frame body like 5D.
    I'm still a newbie to photography, so I need to learn from a senior. My budget is $1000

Thanks for the reply and sorry if my english is bad.
  • edited January 2015
    Hi R3dbu112,
    According to the magazine "What Digital Camera" where cameras and lenses are tested in great detail, the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM is an excellent lens scoring an impressive 88% in the tests.
    The Canon 100mm as described by you scores 89% and is more suited for portrait photography.
    You should not forget about the Sigma lenses, which are usually a lot cheaper than Canon and really deliver. The Sigma 105mm macro lens scores 90% for overall performance. There is also a superb Sigma 50mm lens scoring an excellent 97%.

Enjoy your photography and keep shooting.

Billy Swann
  • edited November 2013
    Dear Billy,
    Thanks for your information, it really helped.
  • Yes, thank you! I am a newbie to this forum and appreciate your info on the macro lens for Canon 60D.
  • Hi @LightDancer - We're glad to have you! If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
  • edited February 2015
    Hi Moose,

I am newbie to this forum and new to photography. I want to become a good photographer thanks to all your support. Thanks to all.
  • Welcome to the forum @spandana! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. We're happy to help point you in the right direction. :)
  • edited June 2015
    I experimented on shooting a full moon that was yellow. What white balance would you use to get the color of the moon? I have a Canon 60D.
  • edited June 2015
    This is a tricky one. The moon is too small in the picture to create a custom white balance effectively. The yellowness (and other possible colors) was caused by atmospheric pollution and is hard to assess. I doubt whether any of the presets would have compensated for this. In order to get a nice silvery moon you need to choose a good, clear night when the stars are clearly visible. If you detect excess shimmering of the stars it could be an indication of atmospheric pollution. I have always shot the moon with auto white balance, which usually works. You could try setting a custom white balance following the instructions on page 96 of your manual and then remember to use spot metering when you take your picture of the moon.
    However, I have assumed that you wanted a silvery moon, but if your intention was to capture the yellow then auto white balance should work.
    PBked
  • edited September 2015
    I have taken night sky pictures in raw/jpeg and I'm having difficulty getting them into DPP for editing. I have just downloaded version 4 of DPP. Some pictures in my camera download but the recent ones do not.

Roebear (a newbie to the 60D forum)
  • edited September 2015
    Although version 4 of DPP is supposed to be compatible with the 60D, I know some people who have had issues with it. Try reloading the previous version and try again.
    PBked
  • I recently acquired a Canon 60D and I just signed up to your blog hoping to glean some info from experts on the 60D, as well as still shooting tips. I have had a 20+ career in video journalism, shooting news for network and large market TV, but want to concentrate on my first love: still shooting. I had a Minolta 100 back in the day and did my own film processing and darkroom magic. Times have changed and I'm ready to learn all over again. I have Adobe CS5, I edit video with Premiere Pro and have dabbled in PhotoShop, but I want to expand into understanding the 60D's controls and learn Lightroom. I have a question, is this page still being updated, or has it faded down? I'm wondering because I see it was opened in 2012, but I don't see dates on recent posts for comparison.
  • edited February 2016
    Hi Moose, really loving your cheat cards and tutorials and have already bought a couple for my 60D. I also use a sigma 10-20mm wide angle lens and wondered if I could use one of your cheat cards that would give me a close enough estimation for use with this lens (such as the cheat card for the canon 24mm that you have done)?
  • @ShootEditSleep - It's a one man show here at CameraTips.com and there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes. This forum is primarily meant for beginners to connect with one another and to share insights and experiences with their 60D.

With regards to updates, I'm currently working on a series of free video tutorials for the 60D which will be posted to my YouTube channel in the coming weeks. All the best!
  • Thanks for that @Jaffa63 - I too have the Sigma 10-20mm, it's such a fun lens. I don't have plans to create a set for it, primarily because it excels at a couple things, but isn't great for a wide range of subjects and scenes. The good news is you can use the cheat cards you already have with your Sigma 10-20mm, provided the scenario calls for a high aperture (like "Landscapes" or "Architecture") etc... All the best!