28-70mm f/2.8 lens

edited November 2013 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Would the Canon 28-70mm f/2.8 lens work on the T2i for both indoor and outdoor wedding photography?

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Most certainly.
    PBked
  • Thank you!!
  • edited November 2013
    Sorry, another quick question. I'm just going to be snapping some wedding pictures for myself personally. Could you help me with settings on the T2i and the 28-70mm lens for
    both indoor and outdoor pictures? Thank you very much!
  • edited November 2013
    Before I say more, can you tell me if you intend to use flash or just available light.
    Thanks, PBked
  • edited November 2013
    Using flash for inside. Outdoor has available light.
  • edited November 2013
    Hi again,
    Think carefully before using flash. Although red-eye can be corrected, it is better not to capture it in the first place. Flash can be obtrusive if you intend to take shots during the ceremony. I don't know what sort of church you will be in, whether it's dark and dingy or brightly lit with windows, but this is where your f/2.8 comes in. Set AV priority and auto ISO up to 3200. Choose RAW+JPG and set continuous shooting. Remember tho that there is a small depth of field at f/2.8 so don't try to cram too much into your shots. If you are shooting the bride and groom, try to keep them on a level plane and within the depth of field.
    If there is a pro photographer, don't try to poach his shots or get in his way. Instead, wait until he is finished and be prepared to strike because people tend to relax after formal poses and this is when you capture them (hence the continuous shooting mode). Don't be afraid to get the congregation in your shot, it helps with the atmosphere. If they are ugly, you can always crop them out later.
    Outside, you will be looking to shoot groups so stay in AV priority set an F stop between 5.6 and 8 to ensure sufficient depth of field. You can always open up your aperture for those candid shots (the best man having a crafty ciggy for example) and this will help isolate the subject.
    I don't know where you are located or what your weather will be. Hopefully it will be bright and sunny, but if it isn't, don't forget to set your white balance accordingly (and inside the church). You can also set the Auto Lighting Optimizer to on, but it might overexpose on a very bright day.
    I'm sorry if this has been long-winded and as you will realize there are no magic settings I can give you because there are so many unknown variables. But good luck in your shooting.
    Personally, I gave up on wedding photography many years ago; too stressful!
    Best regards, PBked
  • Thank you so much for the help!! I appreciate it!