Set up for amateur photographer

edited October 2013 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I am absolutely new to the DSLR world. After some research and recommendations, I have decided to go for the Canon 60D with the kit 18-55mm lens. I'll also be getting a lower end prime, either the Canon 50mm f/1.8 or 40mm f/2.8. I'm on a pretty tight budget now, but I'll be adding more lenses to my kit when the money comes. I need some advice before hand: 17- 55mm or 18-85mm; 18-135mm, 55-250mm, or 17-200mm? I'll also be adding a 100mm f/2.8 macro. I'll basically be shooting portraits in natural light, art and architecture, street photography, weddings, indoor shoots, landscapes and macro. I am fairly new to the concept of accessories (tripods, flashes, filters, hoods). Will I be really needing them? I'll be doing a lot of travel photography so I definitely wouldn't want a large and heavy kit. I'll also be needing a cleaning kit, any recommendations? I'll also need a carry kit or bag. I heard Lowepro is good, but what exactly would you recommend? Anything else you would suggest that I would need in my kit? A lot of information needed. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Hi there,
    What a wish list you have!! If you are on a tight budget I suggest:
    1) Canon 50mm f/1.8
    2) Canon 55-250mm EF-S
    3) Canon speedlite 430ex
    4) Hoya UV filter + perhaps a circular polarizing filter
    5) Lenspen cleaning kit + rocket blower + good quality lens cloth
    6) A lightweight carbon fibre tripod (many brands to choose from)
    7) Lowepro AW (all weather) camera bag (AW160 or 180)

Of course you can up to better quality glass if you are prepared to shop second-hand.
    Hope this is of help and gets you thinking.
    Regards, PBked