Best Lenses for the D5100

edited July 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
Hello, I'm interested in buying the Nikon D5100 and I don't have much experience with SLR cameras so I'm seeking help about which lens I should buy. I know it comes with the standard 18mm-55mm.

Thanks, Dawid

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Hi Dawid,

I got the D5100 for Christmas last year, and I'm very happy with it. I chose the 18-105mm kit lens to be more prepared just in case. After 3 months I chose to get a lens with more incoming light in low light situations. The 50mm f/1.8G seems to be the best for me and my budget. This lens is very impressive by comparison to the kit lens.
    Since my son decided to play soccer, I needed a deeper zoom lens. After reading many tests and also trying it out, I chose the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di SP VC. Now, with these 3 lenses, I think I'm prepared for nearly any situation.

Hope this helps you a little bit!

Regards, Enrico
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks for such a quick response. I was actually thinking of buying the 18-105mm lens because a photographer friend recommended it to me for a wider use. I'm just going to use this camera for personal, family, friend and general photo shoots, so this lens would be perfect!

Thanks again, Dawid
  • Hey @Method - Did you end up finding a lens? If not, let me know if you plan on taking the majority of your shots outdoors or indoors and if there are any other types of photography that you're really interested in (portraits, landscapes, macro, etc...). All the best!
  • edited October 2013
    I just bought the Sigma 18-250mm macro lens for my D5100 and it is fantastic. I bought this because it covers everything from wide to zoom to macro. So it is one lens for many purposes. I also own a D50 with a Tamron 18-200mm lens and it is great. I bought it over 6 years ago and it still works like a champ. I have an older Nikon FG all manual 35mm film camera with several manual focus lenses that works with both digital cameras (just need to use the manual mode) and I have a Nikon 50mm f/.1.8, 28mm f/2.8 wide, 135mm f/2.8, and 70-300mm zoom. The last three lenses are off brand but work fine.