Movie Recording Stopping Automatically

edited March 2013 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
I was wondering why the movie recording keeps stopping automatically. It even happens when I format my card. I also know it's not the speed class because I have a class 6 card. It's really annoying when I take a few videos then all of a sudden I need to tell my subject to stop talking and do it again. Anybody have any tips?

Comments

• @JSac - I know this has been an ongoing issue with various Class 6 memory cards, even though Canon says it can record video with Class 6 or higher.

Buddies of mine who do lots of HD video recording tend to go with Class 10 cards due to their faster read/write speeds. That's the only thing I can think of.

Maybe @amigo can chime in, he's a bit more experienced when it comes to video.
  • edited March 2013
    @JSac - I use class 10 cards, but my camera does the same thing as yours. When I fire the camera up, I usually shoot a short clip, and the camera stops after maybe 5 seconds. After that first shot, I can usually record long sequences without a problem.

I had the camera stop recording a few times last weekend. We were outside at night on a closed ski slope (really cold weather), and we were filming for our end of season ski patrol video and the camera kept stopping recording when the fireworks exploded near us. I believe the camera just freaked out with the sound of the explosions. Anyway, I just plugged the microphone with my finger and that did the trick. The problem with fireworks is that you don't get two chances to get things right. Settings were shutter speed 1/47, ISO 3200, f/2.8, in case you're interested in fireworks.
  • edited June 2013
    @amigo - ok so I bought a class class 10 card, formated it, shot the short clip, and it still won't record for more than 30-40 seconds. Do you think maybe there's a problem with my camera?
  • edited June 2013
    @JSac - At what settings are you shooting at? 1080p/24fps?

I have Transcend and SanDisk Ultra SD cards of capacities varying from 16 to 64 GB. Not all brands are created the same. As evidenced in several postings on the internet, performance varies significantly. Some brands are better than others. Even if you take two SD cards of the same model from the same manufacturer, the output varies significantly.

However, the fact that you have been unable to shoot more than 30 or 40 seconds of footage leads me to believe there might be something wrong with your camera.

The T3i's spec sheet says it is supposed to be able to shoot 1080p/30fps, and if your camera can't do it and you can get it exchanged under warranty I'd say go for it.

You might want to test your sd card's speed by copying files to it from a computer, just to be certain that it's not the Class 10 SD card that's just a bad one. Another thing you can do is to install the free Magic Lantern software on your SD card and then use it to lower the bit rate produced by the camera to 0.7x or 0.8x. If you can shoot endless clips at that setting, it might indicate your SD card is a slow one.

You might want to try to lower the workload of the camera. From the menu, turn off highlight tone priority, set movie rec size to 1920/1080 / 24fps, disable video snapshot, disable Auto lighting optimizer, picture style neutral, bass boost disable, and Ctrl over HDMi disable. I honestly don't know how much these settings alleviate the workload of the camera's processor, but it's worth trying.
  • edited June 2013
    I got a new sd card and the problem went away. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!
  • edited June 2013
    @JSac,

I am glad you solved your problem. Thanks for your thanks, it feels good to know I was able to help someone else. Happy shooting!
  • edited July 2013
    @JSac,

May I ask what kind of SD card you bought to get the problem to go away? I am having the same problem. My card is an off-brand class 10 card (32gb). It takes pictures just fine but video stops after about 5 seconds of recording. I want to get a new card since my research has led me to think that my card might be the problem, but I'm just not sure what card to buy.
  • edited July 2013
    There have been counterfeit SD cards that appear as original (they look the same). Those are the ones that are unable to record continuous video.