Using Canon's software for photo editing

edited February 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Ya'll, I'm still new to the DIGITAL side of photography. Starting to play with the post production of some of my shots. I have forced myself to compose the majority of my shots as if I was using film, but I want to play with the "curves" and balance.

What is layering and can it be done with the included software package? I kind of figured out how cloning works to remove something from a shot, but would love some pointers there as well.

If ya'll want we can pick a spot and go from there and break it into chunks. I bet I am not the lone ranger in this subject, LOL. Thank Ya!

Comments

• @Auston - When looking at the available photo editing programs on the market, it's a bit confusing trying to decide which one which one is right for your specific workflow.

Some people just want to do basic edits (brightness, sharpness, contrast, ect...) and call it a day. Others want advanced photo manipulation control over their images.

In regards to the Canon supplied software...there's nothing "wrong" with it, however, you have to think about your time invested in learning how to use the program.

Generally speaking, it's safer to invest your time learning how to use a third party program, rather than relying on Canon's included software. My fear would be that they stop upgrading the software package, because there just so many other available options on the market. In that situation, you'd eventually have to abandon it and start your learning process from scratch.

In regards to the photo tools out there today, I would group them as follows...

Basic photo editing, batch processing and management
    1. iPhoto by Apple
    2. Picasa by Google

Advanced photo editing, batch processing and management
    1. Lightroom by Adobe
    2. Aperture by Apple

Intermediate photo manipulation
    1. Photoshop Elements

Advanced photo manipulation
    1. Photoshop

Ultimately, it comes down to how much control you're after and the amount of time you're willing to devote in order to learn the program.
  • edited February 2012
    Moose, thanks for the food for thought. I will ponder to what level I want to involve myself, lol. Although, I am and have always been the "ALL OR NOTHING" kind of person. I have read alot about Photoshop and feel at this point that might be the way for me. Again Thanks!
  • edited January 2013
    Nice thread! I have recently started using the Canon software that came with my camera . At the moment I'm just using auto edit as I have no idea how to apply a lot of other things. It takes a while to learn the software out there doesn't it? I can say I don't like too much editing of photos. I have seen some edited photos and although they are beautiful you can actually see they are not natural; you can see they are edited.
  • edited January 2013
    I briefly switched from Photoshop to Canon's software when I bought my 60D, but soon reverted back. Yes, you almost need a university degree to use all of Photoshop's functionality, but I suspect that most people who visit this site would never want to use it to the max? The tutorials make it a breeze to get the hang of the basics (such as layering).
  • MisterD where do you get the tutorials from?
  • edited January 2013
    I found this online photo editor. I think it does a pretty good job combined with the Canon software: http://www.freeonlinephotoeditor.com/
  • edited January 2013
    Thank you MisterD for these websites. I'm going to spend time today on the tutorials. I really want to learn more about editing.
  • edited January 2013
    @MisterD - I realized that to be able to listen to all the videos one needs to subscribe monthly for $25 per month. Do you think it's worth it? Have you watched these videos on lynda.com?
  • edited January 2013
    They're definitely useful and show you every step of each function in a very easy to follow way!

• edited May 2013
    After reading the article, I found an c# image editor which may integrate with Canon perfectly.
  • edited May 2013
    I am using the GIMP (Graphical Image Manipulation Program). It is free software and you can download it from www.gimp.org.

The website contains several useful tutorials, and countless people have posted GIMP tutorials on YouTube as well.

• edited May 2013
    Hi @Moose! I had questons regarding editing programs as well. I had a MAC for years that was stolen, so now between the new MAC and camera I'm feeling overwhelmed. I used iPhoto for organizing, slideshows, and burning discs for years on my older Mac. Then my kids put Elements 10 on my computer and they are teaching me how to use it. I really don't like the Canon DPP because it's very confusing even after numerous calls to Canon. I was told (probably incorrectly) that it's the only program that I have at the moment that can edit RAW photos. If you know differently please share. I'm sucking up all the memory in my new computer.
  • edited May 2013
    @mamarazziA, I have a MAC and run Lightroom and Elements 9 without any issues with RAW files.
    Aperture is the Apple version of Lightroom and will also handle RAW, but I dont know if it integrates with elements.
  • I found this photo editor which has some paid feature of pixlr in there free version, And works great with canon
    www.toolpic.com