Zoom Lens for Nikon D5100

edited May 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I am an enthusiastic photographer who recently bought a Nikon D5100 with AF-S DX Nikor 18-55 f/3.5-5.6G VR lens kit.
I usually shoot natural scenery, sunset views and travelling photography is also my interest area.

I'm looking for a good Nikkor zoom lens. Please suggest some good options.

I'm confused among the following lenses:
Nikon AF S DX Zoom Nikkor 55 200mm f/4 5.6G ED
Nikkor AF S DX 55 300mm VR f/4 5.6 Len
Nikon AF Zoom NIKK0R 70 300mm f/4 5.6G
I don't want to carry lenses whose ranges overlap.

Thanks

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Any of those three are good lenses. If money isn't an issue, I would go for the 70-300mm, which is actually what I own now and I'm selling my 55-200mm. I needed more reach and a little better quality image. It's better to have the extra reach and not always need it than to need it and not have it in my opinion. A lot of the time you can just move closer to your subject, but other times you can't and the 300mm will be nice to have. My advice would be to get the 70-300mm refurbished to save some money and do it right the first time.
  • edited May 2013
    My 70-300mm came in today. I will tell you the 55-200mm is much smaller and lighter, but the 70-300mm is quite a bit better quality in the photos. Take your pick of priorities between a good lens that's cheap, light and small or a great lens that's big and heavy.
  • edited May 2013
    @Adelphos, thank you so much sir.

I talked about the Nikon 55-300mm VR (18.6 oz./529gm) with some people and they say it's better than the Nikon 70-300mm VR (26.3oz/745g) in my case, because there will be no gap in between my lens kit (I already have the 18-55mm). And of course it is lighter than the Nikon 70-300mm.

I am concerned about quality. For action and sports, the semi-professional 70-300mm VR has much faster auto focussing instead of the 55-200mm or 55-300mm, but I'm focusing on travel photography.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I followed this link to know more about Nikor lenses:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/dx-dream-team.htm
  • ejlejl
    edited June 2013
    Hey there,
    I am new to the photography scene as well, but I just purchased the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens from Tamron, and I LOVE IT. Yes, the 300mm has more zoom, but for my needs I was comfortable purchasing this lens. It is heavy, but not as heavy as I anticipated. It takes extremely sharp pictures, and even at full zoom, they look great. It takes great portrait as well. I have a studio that I can't really use the lens in, unless its for babies, which is the only downfall. It is zoomed in too much for my little space. I hope this helps.
  • edited July 2013
    @amanraj4u,

Sorry that I'm late to the party. I have the 55-300mm and it has done admirably yeoman's work for me. It's a bit soft on the long end of its focal length (which is true with many long telephoto zoom lens, including the 70-300mm), but it's tack sharp inside of 200mm. Its AF is noticeably slower than that of the 70-300mm and its VR takes a bit to kick in, but for the cost, it's a very good value. If you can justify the extra cost, the 70-300mm is very highly recommended. In my opinion, the extra reach of either lens is worth the additional cost over a 70-200mm.

Good luck!
  • edited July 2013
    Hi all, thanks for your helpful comments. :)
    At the last moment I purchased the Nikon 70-300 mm, because it's economical and was in my budget. I know I am compromising on some points, but I can't choose any better with my tore pockets. :(

Happy shooting!