Canon 17-55mm 2.8 vs. Sigma 17-50mm 2.8

edited April 2013 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Need some advice on a good walk around lens. Is the Canon 17-55mm really that much better than the Sigma17-50mm?

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Hi @bcsnave,
    I'm a bit confused here. I didn't know there was a Canon 15-55mm. Are you sure you don't mean the 17-55mm or the 18-55mm?
    Also, when you say walk around lens, what subjects do you intend to photograph? It may be that you need to consider a longer focal length zoom such as the 18-135mm or 18-200mm so near and far are catered for.
    Come back to the forum with a little more information and I am sure someone will have some ideas on good lenses to have.
    Best regards, PBked
  • edited May 2013
    Ah, that is correct. I meant the 17-55 Canon f/2.8 or 17-50mm Sigma f/2.8, as I have the Canon 60D and it is a crop sensor. I am looking for good glass. I have the 18-135mm kit lens and it just is not as sharp as some of my others.
  • edited May 2013
    Hi again,
    As I see it you have 3 contenders; Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 17-50mm and Tamron 17-50mm.
    When it comes to comparing lenses it is swings and roundabouts. What is strong in one lens is weak in another and so forth. The Sigma and Tamron beat Canon hands down on price point. The Canon shines in terms of AF speed and the Sigma in terms of center and overall sharpness.
    The test results of the top reviewers seem to favor the Sigma, but as usual it's a case of you pay your money and you take your choice. Good luck in deciding.
    Best regards, PBked
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks! I've seen the reviews and I have other Sigma lenses and they are nice. I just wonder if I should go with the Canon this time?
  • edited June 2013
    Great fast lens with nice glass. I got a UV and a Circular Polarizer, and to top it off I bought a Nissin MG 8000 external flash. Wow is all I can say for the wedding we were at.

This is my favorite all around lens. Now my 18-135mm is for sale.