Macro Lens for Nikon D5100

edited April 2013 Posted in » Nikon Lens Talk
I am using a Nikon D5100 and I am looking for the best macro lens. I have looked at some Nikon lens like AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED, AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G. Still not sure which to buy. I am mostly interested in shooting bugs and flower details.

Can you please guide me:
1. How to choose a macro lens and what all criterion needs to be taken into consideration?
2. Is there a better macro lens than the two I listed above for the Nikon D5100?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks for taking time to read this.

Regards,
Shirin Gupta.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    It depends on your budget and what you'll be shooting, but the 105mm is good from what I've read (I don't own it).

Try googling comparisons to help you get an idea of the differences. That should help you choose the options best suited for you.
  • edited April 2013
    The 105mm lens has 1:1 of maximum reproduction ratio and up to 31cm closest focusing distance, while the 40mm has 16 cm closest focus point.

For shooting bugs I would go for a macro lens which has minimum 30cm closest focus distance.

With the 40mm lens and 16cm from the bug you haven't got as many chances. The Nikon AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G lens has a minimum focus distance of 16cm. If you want to shoot bugs or insects, this lens will not work. They will soon disappear because of the short distance.

If you would like to shoot a flower, the problem again is the short distance between the flower and the lens. The lens will drop a shade to the subject.

Try to buy a macro lens with bigger focal length than 40mm (60mm, 80mm or 100 mm).
  • edited April 2013
    Thanks @Adelphos, @szlaszlo07 for your comments. I also agree that especially for bugs, the Nikon 105mm lens would be best.

Are there any other lenses apart from Nikon like Tamron or any other company which can give me similar quality?

Also, are there any Macro lenses with f/1.8 or lower f value?
  • edited April 2013
    Howdy @shiringupta - I agree with @Adelphos and @szlaszlo07. For what you're trying to capture, a longer macro lens (80mm+) would be a better choice.

The Nikon 105mm f/2.8 is a fantastic macro lens...it's also quite expensive. If you don't have the budget for it Tamron offers a similar lens, the 90mm f/2.8 Di SP.

This lens has internal focus so it's fully compatible with your D5100 and the longer focal length is ideal for bugs and flowers. It's also quite sharp.

The biggest difference between the Nikon and the Tamron is focus speed. However, with most macro subjects, focus speed isn't really a critical feature.

To answer your other question, I don't believe there is a dedicated macro lens that has a maximum aperture of f/1.8.

Happy shooting! :)
  • edited January 2014
    How does the Raynox 250mm compare to one of these lenses?