Canon T2i with Canon 15-85mm and Tamron 28-300mm Lenses

edited April 2013 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I have two newish lenses for my Canon Rebel T2i. I am wondering between the two which is better for portraiture? I am leaning towards the 28-300mm in that zooming in I can create a better depth of field with a blurred background. Also, I am going on a trip and wondering if I should take both lenses? It is not a safari, but I think the 28-300mm would be great for zooming and the 15-85mm for landscapes. Also, which of these two lenses and camera settings works best for portraits of children, pets and people in general. Should I also use AI servo for moving objects? Thank you.

Comments

• Howdy @PhotoAngel - For portraits, children and pets, I would use your Canon 15-85mm.

The "ideal" focal length for people shots is between 35mm to 150mm. With your 15-85mm lens mounted to your T2i, you actually end up with an effective zoom range of 24-136mm (due to the crop factor) making it a good lens for portraits, children and pets.

The "catch" is that this particular lens is meant to be used outdoors while shooting subjects that move. If you're trying to capture moving subjects indoors or in low-light, you're going to end up with less than stellar results.

For those situations, you really need a lens like the Canon 50mm f/1.8. This lens is ideal for low-light situations, plus it gives you the benefit of a shallow depth of field which allows you to capture a sharp subject against a silky smooth background.

As for your upcoming trip, your Tamron 28-300mm would be the best choice. That zoom range will give you more creative freedom to compose a wide range of subjects and scenes. Again, like your Canon 15-85mm it's meant to be used primarily outdoors.

Hope that all makes sense and happy shooting! :)