Should I buy a Canon T3i?

edited March 2013 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
I've thought about buying a T3i for about a year on Ebay, Slick Deals and other places. I have looked at the camera in the store and I wonder if I will ever be able to work it! I would leave ii in auto 99% of the time like I do my Canon SX40. Would it be wise for me to even buy a DSLR?

Comments

• Howdy @illininutt - What types of photography are you most interested in (portraits, landscapes, macro, etc...)?
  • edited April 2013
    Hi there. I have a different sort of question for Moose. What do you think you can achieve with a DSLR that you can't achieve on your bridge camera? If you are most likely to leave it on auto, I would suggest not very much.

You also need to consider the expense of buying into a system; it is not just the camera, but lenses as well and they are not cheap.

I think it would be better to start experimenting with other modes such as aperture priority for landscapes, portraits and still lifes. Your SX40 is an excellent little camera and although multi zoom lenses on bridge cameras will never equal the best Canon lenses in terms of quality, as my old Dad used to say, "a blind man in the dark would be glad to spot the difference". Unless of course you blow your pictures up to the size of your living room wall.

So my personal opinion is to learn what the other modes do and how you can improve your pictures by using them. This will get you learning about the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO (ie. exposure).

There is a great deal of down to earth help and advice within the pages of this forum and elsewhere on the web.

When you have explored what your camera is capable of and you still want to switch to DSLR, it is your call.

Best regards,
    PBked
  • @PBked - Good to hear from you and great advice!