LCD Versus Viewfinder

edited March 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
1. The camera doesn't shoot pictures in short distance in scene mode when I use the viewfinder. Otherwise, the camera shoots in scene mode when I use the LCD to visualize the object in short distance.

2. In all modes, when I use the viewfinder to visualize the object, the shot is too long (it spends a long time). Otherwise, when I use the viewfinder, the shot is fast (it spends a short time).

Are those problems with the camera?

Thanks in advance, Andre

Comments

• Howdy @ansilvape - So, it sounds like you're comparing 'Live View' mode (using the LCD to shoot) versus standard shooting (using the viewfinder).

To answer your first question...there's no change in focusing distance between the two modes. This is determined by your lens (each lens has a minimum focusing distance), not the camera. Focus in 'Live View' mode is a bit unreliable, so I wouldn't trust it.

To answer your second question...each mode uses a different technology for focusing, unfortunately the focusing speed is much slower when using 'Live View' mode versus standard mode.

Hope that makes sense and happy shooting! :)
  • edited March 2013
    Moose, thanks for your reply. You understood exactly what I meant. So, based on your answers, my D5100 is ok!
    Best wishes, André